1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Old, never say die kitchen tools

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by NMaxy, Mar 12, 2015.

1. OK, I'll admit an odd title for a thread. Anyone else obsess over knives, boards, you name it, and yet still have some old, cheap 'old reliable' gear?

For me it's this ten year old, $15 rice cooker. I use it at least twice a week, and it cooks beautiful rice. No special treatment, no special washing, and it just keeps ticking.

IMG_8017.JPG

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My aunt has a wooden "spoon" that she loves. It's old and worn enough that it's more accurate to call it a dowel.

3. Huw

Huw Founding Member

My Mum has a kenwood stand mixer she got as a wedding gift, it gets used at least once a fortnight and has been going strong for the last 39 years.

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Waffle iron from the 1930's . Belonged to my wife's Grandpa Gurman. Think of him every time we use it.
    20150313_011730.jpg

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I have a couple of my Grandmother's cast iron pans and a spun aluminum sugar jar that I keep my coffee in.
    I think of her often when using them, she passed at 103. I am working on a few myself with a 197x mixer and a 1984 food processor.

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I have my Grampa's "go-to" cast iron skillet that must be 80+ years old by now, a diner sugar dispenser thingy - that I have had since I somehow attained it when I first moved out, and realized that I like sugar and diners have tons of them - , and a left-handed "granny spoon" and flipper made by Littledeer that I also got shortly after first moving out. I'll post a pic today of the items, because we all know a thread is useless without pics. :)

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Pic time. :)

[​IMG]

8. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Great little machine Neil I use the same one at home! My 8" pan was cheap when my Grandmother bought it a long while back! Still does Sunday omelette duty weekly!

9. Last summer i have bought a 30+ year old Magimix food processor (Made by Robot Coupe) and it still does the job nicely be it home made sauces, pastries, soups.

10. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

i have one of those, the store forgot to take a sake sign down and tried to charge me more, so i got it for five bucks. i love the rice i get never used it to steam anything, but making rice is good enough for me

11. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

2015-04-17 00.47.07.jpg

I hate the old ones LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

does anyone use big tweezers to manipulate things in the pan? sometimes when I'm using my fingers to flip something in a hot pan, I find it hard to grip and end up with nearly burned fingers. Sometimes I just use a shish kabob skewer but thought a big set of tweezers might be nice and more precise than the few tongs I have.

13. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

My mom is still using a hand mixer that she bought in 1965. I have several small appliances that are 20+ yrs old, microwave, blender, rice cooker, mixer.

14. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

You mean chopsticks?

15. I think he meant tongs.

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I didn't mean chop sticks, but that is an Idea John. thanks.

I guess when you use them to flip food, they are tongs even if they look like tweezers?

17. I've got some mini tongs made by Winco(available at Rest. Depot) they are perfect for smaller jobs and flippin'.

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Chris
    Thanks for that. will have a look.

Mike

19. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

20. butch

butch Founding Member

got grams handed down cast ion pans (2) and a carbon steel "grill" flipper that i flat out love i know its new then the cast iron so thats why im thinknign about rehandeling it in cocobolo