1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

NY Swordmaker Video

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by thedispossessed, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ran across this cool video of a guy's shop in the hudson valley where he forges swords. Check it out!

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

interesting indeed.
    You will probably like this guys work too.
    and if you like the short video, look up the Ulbfert Viking Sword. it is a full Nova episode about discovery of a hand full of high quality swords from Viking graves that exhibit steel quality not seen again for 2000 years. Rich Furrer from Door County Wisconsin was chosen to replicate it. They figured out that it was crucible steel way ahead of its time and give the whole intriguing story about it. I'm more interested in historic pieces.

3. I've known both John Lundemo and Ric Furrer for almost ten years now. Both have forgotten more about swordsmithing than most bladesmiths will know in their entire lives. If you've watched the Ulfbert video on Nova, you'll remember the gentleman running the bellows during smelting and later in heat treat. His name is Kevin Cashen, and when I have metallurgy issues he's the authority I turn to. These gentlemen (along with a few others) were old hands when I started nearly ten years ago...and pretty much have hero status on lock down :).

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Im lucky to have my shoes stayes tied for an entire day, what those guys do with their hands, and when our blade smiths can do blows my mind

5. As one of those bladesmiths, I have to say it blows my mind too lol. Work from other makers continuously humbles and inspires me at the same time.

By the way, the NOVA program on Ulfbert is on Netflix if any of you guys want to watch it. It really, really was a cool show. As I've said I've known Ric since around 2006 or 2007. He's an amazingly kind and helpful gentleman. The same goes for John. Those two are part of the reason I share so much of what I do today...in the WIP's...and why I'm so open about my methods, even though it's probably in my best interest NOT to be lol. They make their living doing what I do, and have never been the worse off for their openness and willingness to 'give it all away'. I truly believe that you get what you give, and these guys are a large part of the reason I feel that way.

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

That Ulbfert show is awsome. I've seen it a few times. It is on Youtube in its entirety too.