1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Nogent parer

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Nice little knife. Tom (Lefty) likes the one I gave him. He used it in designing the Harner-McLean paring knife:

[​IMG]

I've not done business with Quitokeeto, but The Best Things offers it at essentially the same price, along with other Sabatier Nogents.
    http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm

[​IMG]

Note well the disclaimer posted concerning these knives:

Thiers-Issard carbon steel knives are a specialty product which are hand-made in France. Unlike all of the other knives that we sell, these knives are prone to significant irregularities. Sighting down the blades of these knives, they will typically not be perfectly straight. This will be particularly noticeable on the longer knives. Blades will often have a gentle curvature to one side, and or a gentle wave in the blade. This is a result both of being hand-ground and of the inherent instability of carbon-steel during the heat treating process. These knives are more akin to pre-War hand-made knives than they are to modern factory made knives, and should be evaluated in that light. Any knives that exhibit flaws that we consider to be outside of the normal range are segregated out and sold on our knife specials page. In short, if you are the type of person who expects perfection, you will probably not be happy with a Thiers-Issard knife. However, if you are a person who likes old-school knives, and values the properties of carbon steel, then you will probably love these knives.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Wonder if ones made in the 60s are different in any significant way. I see the pictured knife does not seem to be marked as the one you posted is Rick. The wood is lighter, wonder if it has just faded?

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Quitokeeto describes the handle as "European black wood", "ashy, chocolate brown with a matte finish."

The Best Things handles are described as "solid ebony."

I'd probably go with the ebony.