1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

NO MORE ************** Redwood!

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Sorry folks but I've worked with the last block of red dust (redwood) today. Once again I've been shown that this stuff is sub-standard for use when attempting to make money. I'm many hours into a rehandle that just went south because the wood is not really wood, it's formed dust. Now I've got to grind the redwood off, reimburse the customer for the loss, buy another mosaic pin, lose my hours into it already, possibly risk hosing the knife (which I've already thinned!), and now re-work a whole new block of wood (again). Ugh!!!

I might take buckeye burl off the list too. There's just too much risk for me to keep playing around with this garbage.

Rant mode OFF

Dave

PS - I don't blame anyone but myself here, I know better.

2. Twistington

Twistington Founding Member

When it comes to those woods(buckeye or redwood) and western handles they have been off my list since last summer, think stainless pins went out through the door around that time aswell.
    For WA I find redwood pretty neat to work with though.

3. Dave Martell

I dropped stainless pins a long time ago too. :D

I guess that I'd consider redwood for wa handles but no more on westerns.

4. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Ick. Sorry to hear it Dave! Thankfully my block of redwood that I'm going to send to you eventually (hopefully haha) is for a wa handle. ;)

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Lol, that took awhile. Beautiful wood, but a pita to work with.

6. Dave Martell

It is great looking stuff and I've had some redwood that worked nice but mostly it's a pain in the ass and I've just had too many losses to justify the risk. I do think that making an octagonal wa handle would fit this stuff better.

7. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Would that apply to stabilized Redwood also Dave?

8. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Stabilized is no better, I "pulled apart" 2 wa handles, rubbing in an oil/wax top coat. Its too brittle.

9. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

odd all the redwood originals ive seen were tough lol (SOA reference)

sorry about the frustrations Dave sounds like a crappy day

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I can come up with something besides buckeye for mine. I was surprised you had picked some.

11. Dave Martell

I'll be giving yours a go John. I've been lucky in the past with some of it, just also very unlucky too. Buckeye is better than redwood.

12. Dave Martell

I've had terrible luck with about 90% of the stabilized redwood I've used. What has always kept me trying is the great colors and patterns plus when a block works it's so damn nice looking that I forget about the bad.

13. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Ok. I was looking for backups just in case.

14. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with stainless pins?

15. Dave Martell

Metal & wood wear at different rates, the greater the difference the harder it is to make them fit flush. Stainless wears slow and is much harder than wood so when using stainless pins they want to sit proud of the wood.

16. butch

butch Founding Member

SS pins are no problem if you use a hard backer (break the edges or you can gouge the wood )
    hard backer keeps the paper at the same level as the hardest part of the handle.