1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

New Hand sanding tool..

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 24, 2016.

1. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Hey guys. I just received a new tool for the shop. And its pretty awesome!

One of my least favorite things to do is HAND SANDING blades. But after doing a couple of blades with this fixture. I had to share my experience with you guys!

This is a fixture for hand sanding my friend Ed Braun makes. This thing is nice. and sometimes the little tools make all the difference in the world.

The way this works is you clamp your blade and then adjust the screws along the length of the blade. This raises the table Making up for the taper, to give support evenly along the length of the blade. Also The edge and tip are not exposed which helps to keep from cutting yourself. or catching the tip as your sanding. Ed also makes some nifty sanding backers. Each has a slightly different density material. From a flat hardened steel plate all the way to a 1" thick soft foam. So depending on the blade or your desired results. It allows ya to sand and finish or refinish almost any grind style. So far I have only had the fixture and sanding backers for a few days. So I am still figuring out which backers work best for each application. And the best size and shape to cut the sand paper. Etc..

I know this will be used on pretty much every blade I make moving forward. Having a solid backer and the added safety from cutting myself. Has allowed me to get to my desired finish faster, and more evenly then I could without it. Guess I just got use to doing things one way and forget that there may be a better. faster way to reach the same end. So when I found this and it worked so well. I just had to share this with you guys. Not sure who it could help. Anyone wanting more info shoot me a PM.

Another thing I quickly found is that if I was wanting to thin out a blade. This paired with a lower grit sharpening stone or a DMT plate. makes the process a breeze! [​IMG]

Here are a few photos of the fixture and sanding backers.
    Stay Sharp
    Randy

Ed Braun fixture.jpg IMG_8230 (800x533).jpg IMG_8313 (800x533).jpg IMG_8320 (800x533).jpg IMG_8317 (800x533).jpg

2. Beautiful Randy! Ed's one of my better friends in this world, and those jigs/backers he makes are top notch pieces for sure :D.

3. HHH Knives

Small world Cris. :D Ed is good peeps 4sure!

The crazy thing for me is how simple yet effective these are! Its simply works well!
    I been doing it the hard way for WAY to long. I guess!

Stay sharp
    Randy

4. They absolutely do work! Nick Wheeler's been using them for a long time, though he doesn't make them for resale. I think the idea originated with Don Fogg though, who was one of my (online) mentors/heroes while learning swordsmithing.

If you want a real tip...use the backer and polish one side of the blade completely, then use masking tape on the polished side (cut the masking tape after application to the precise shape of the blade with a razor). You can then safely polish the other side up to the same grit. No flipping back and forth, getting stray scratches, etc. Doing that cut my polishing time from 10hrs down to like 5, lol.

5. HHH Knives

Good tip/trick. Thanks for sharing!!

I think I seen where Ed gives credit to Nick for the idea/style etc for the sanding fixture. (respect)

6. Absolutely! Glad to help!

And yes...Ed would never take an idea and do anything with it without giving credit. It's one of the main things that made us instant friends. Integrity is rare in this world anymore!...it has to be recognized and rewarded wherever you find it :).

7. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

This looks brilliant. Is your standard size? I could see using a slightly smaller version.

8. Ed offers like 3 sizes if I recall Mike (but at least two). If a hobbyist or even a home chef has a vise, it would make thinning and finishing knives a breeze.

9. HHH Knives

Mikey. This one is "custom made and is a bit larger. He offers these in 2 "standard" sizes . one is a little smaller then mine. and one is much smaller. I will shoot you a message with more info.

10. HHH Knives

Cris. I didnt see your post. Hmm, It may be 3 sizes? Thanks. :D

11. I don't know for sure lol, I use my own backer...I know it was at least two as you said. I might have been counting three as when Ed and I talked about it we discussed a larger one (probably like yours).

12. Love Ed nice to see him getting mentioned. I am excited to see him put out knives of his own. Everything I have seen from him is well made and with guys like you (Randy) and Cris counted amoungst his friends/colleagues I'm sure he won't disappoint.

13. HHH Knives

Ed is a good guy and very knowledgeable in many areas of knife making. Hes one to be watching for. For sure!
    I already have a order in with him for a off set bread knife.In Feather damascus for my Wife.. Shhh dont tell her. ;) And I hope to snag on of his chef blades when they become available.