1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

need Help.

Discussion in 'Bryan Raquin' started by cassca, Aug 17, 2016.

1. hi FFFora !!

i try something new in my Heat treatment process , and i would like have a new opinion about that.

maybe 3 or 4 old guy :D

i make a crap handle , so , it's not a drama if you broke it , or .... i don't know....

you can remove it if you want for sharpening or something else ....he's not glued .

this is not a sexy grind or kasumi finish .... RAW finish, but the edge is nice.... so you can make evry thing with this knife, i only want feedback about edge rétention , food release etc etc.

the steel is 145sc ( sanmai with XC10, soft steel, NOT stainless clading ), so to's closed than a Shiro 1.
    do not expect edge like a ZDP 345Vh3ps ... :D

it's not a big deal if we have some chip' ... you can play with your stones if it's to heavy dudy dirty grind....
    juste take a pics, speak about your feeling here .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is not a passaround !it is scientific !! ( and fun ...i hope...)

after that, we can make a " lottery" if you want....

so ?

bryan

2. I would love play with this knife, give you my humble opinion, and see your work ahead of the knife you will forge for me. However I feel you need someone with much more expertise than me on this one. My 0.02: give priority to other knife makers and/or people who already have a knife of yours so that they can compare.
    But if you find not enough expert point of view, fell free to put me on the list.

Ça donne envie, néanmoins. a+

3. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I would love to play, but I am in the US. If its coming here, count me in.

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I'd be interested, thanks.

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

In always interested in these but abiut all I use a knife these days is "skinning" ribs or dicing mire poix.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. ok,
    -Anton
    -Zetieum
    -MattS
    -Mrmnms
    -and maybe John Fout ...

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Just saw this post, still interested, if not to late. Please count me in.

8. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

You should make everyone agree to post their findings first.

9. I did not think that would interest a lot of people.
    everyone is welcome

[​IMG]

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I'll be glad to play if you like.

11. -anton
    -Zetieum
    -MattS
    -Mrmnms
    - John Fout
    -chefLarge
    -spaz
    -Xoomg ( come on...... :D )

i send the knife next week to Anton ,the handle master ! (I will be ashamed of the handle :/ )
    if the other person want join us, it's still open :D

12. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Crap. I just want it. No sharing. Haha

13. I'd like to get on the list since it's coming stateside, if it's still open...

14. the knife is on road to anton ... :D

15. A courier tried to deliver package while I was at the office. I'm itching to get my hands on this knife, but it will have to wait till tomorrow. I think I might make one of those stupid unboxing videos :)

16. The Eagle has landed
    [​IMG]

It took me a bit longer to grab a package from Russian Post, but it's here and I'm ready to give some initial impressions.
    First some shots of the profile and KU finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's about 220mm on the edge, 45mm height near the heel. 140grams on the scales.
    About 1/3 of blade from the heel is flat. From there it's curved right to the tip.
    Thick 5mm spine near the handles tapers pretty quickly to 2mm spine in the middle of blade.
    No noticeable flex in the blade.

[​IMG]

The choil area is polished but not rounded. Yet there are no sharp edges so it feels surprisingly good.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the KU finish and grind.
    [​IMG]

Note the tiny bevels on the spine. Even though it's not rounded, those bevels makes it comfortable to hold.
    [​IMG]

Сhoil shot
    [​IMG]

And one more choil
    [​IMG]

More feedback once I cut some food

17. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Not thrilled with the "two-stage" edge profile by the tip according to pics, but it looks like Bryan's got a nice grasp of the "clean rustic". Really like the neck and spine treatments.

Keep us updated, please.

18. i am not certain about the "two stage" angle, normally it is convex, but sometimes i love when the firts 1/3 from the tip is thiner than the other 2/3 .

the grind is convex with this finish, but when i make my "petrichor finish" ( like a kasumi , but i love this word :D ) it's flat. ( with the small convex edge).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016