1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Naniwa Snow White

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Benuser, Jun 5, 2014.

1. I'll receive one of these days a Naniwa Snow White 8k. Anyone has used it?

2. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

This is THE 8k stone to own! Silky smooth, great feel and feedback, leaves a great polish. I get a Woody every time I use it! [​IMG]

3. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

i like it quite a bit myself

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm using the Pure White/Junpaku stone with light slurry most of the time; either the slurry from the stone itself, slurry from a natural nagura (tenjo, mejiro), or both.

Seems to do a good job.

5. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

i seek out a natural stone for my finishing. i have yet to find one but i will always seek it. to me it is not about the fact that its a rock. it is that the natural stone comes from japan, a place of wonder and beautiful things. i want to have a stone from japan so that i can obtain a piece of the beautiful land of the greatest things.

6. Sorry Brad, it's just a rock. A rectangular rock.

7. Sorry mano, it's just a knife, a sharp knife :p

Each of us got a sentimental attachment to something. I still have pebbles from the beach from 7 years ago. At least brad's rocks are useful for something.

8. I'm just breaking his stones.

9. In that case :D

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

My parents travel often and my mom snags a rock wherever she goes. I think she has a few from japan. I will grab one and send it your way:)

11. what sort of range are you looking for?

12. About the Naniwa Snow White: just stropping with it. Leaves an extremely aggressive edge after a Chosera 5k. Have to find out what happens.

13. I believe my 5k leaves some burr that the Snow White eliminates with great ease. Do you remember the impression you got from your first Japanese blade? After all, it wasn't all that spectacular, but you didn't know any better. Well, I've got that same feeling after stropping and deburring with this stone.

14. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

It was one of my first great high grit stones, way back over a decade ago when I had to try everything and would pass around stones and knives with fellow nuts.

It's really a terrific finishing stone, almost what I would image an 8K chocera would be if they made one. I also have a soft spot for white stones- they make you think you're removing a lot of metal, even if you aren't.

15. Obiwan

Obiwan Founding Member

I have borrowed one before from a friend and liked it very much.

16. I can add that it allows very easy cutting of a microbevel, and the resulting edge has much more bite than with a Chosera 5k.

17. Hmm, need to learn about micro bevels. Time to revisit Jon's videos I think.

18. Very useful if you keep the purpose in mind: that is to allow very thin edges the steel can barely hold without one. If you put one on a normal edge though you may expect some performance loss.

19. So you are telling me I can get my stainless as sharp as my shig :p. On a more serious note I get the point of them, it improves the edge retention for very fine edges that the steel can't support on a normal edge. Not sure if any downsides, also not sure on how to do properly.

20. How to do it: Jon has an excellent video on applying a single-sided microbevel at a huge angle, which is a special case but shows very well how to create on. You have to cut the new bevel, not convex toward it. Downside: removing it make take some time and cause a bit of material loss. If done improperly it may alter the edge's geometry.