1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

My gidgee guy

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by chefcomesback, May 16, 2015.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I have always liked the stabilised woods I have gotten from Mark and Myron but I have a soft spot for Australian hardwood , especially ringed gidgee . I have a guy who lives few hours away from the dead trees and sends me some awesome stuff .
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431773355.734799.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431773378.855646.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431773420.225796.jpg

I made most of my handles from it and became friends with the guy and today I saw a very sad picture from him .
    A fire has destroyed his shed , all of his tools and timber
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431773558.463398.jpg

I hope he can recover from it

2. That is some very very bad news :(

Is this auzzie turning timbers ??

3. chefcomesback

It is Peter Cheal , the timber joint

4. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

What a frickin' bummer. :( :fp2 :fp

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

That's really sad :(. I've purchased gidgee from them - great product and customer service.

7. chefcomesback

+1

I told him that I am willing to pay now , he can send me whatever and whenever he gets his things sorted

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

heartbreaking, I hope he gets back up and running soon. Such a horrible thing to go through for sure

9. chefcomesback

I have talked to him over the phone , it looks like he has lost over 20k stuff and it wasn't insured . Today I made a knife that I will be auctioning off tomorrow . It's a 240 gyuto in 52100 with ringed gidgee from him buffalo horn and nickel spacer . I will be sending him the funds

10. Does he have a paypal account Mert? Or can he set up one?? I can't afford to do anything huge, but I want to send something regardless.

11. chefcomesback

He has a paypal , I am trying to find it . Lot of people already contacted me to help him on FB , some with donations some are auctioning off their crafts for his benefit . I do appreciate all the efforts , will update this soon

12. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  13. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Count me in too Mert. I'd like to pitch in if he has an account.

14. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Where are you doing the auction? I can't do anything huge, but I'll throw in a kiridashi and send the entirety of the purchase price to Cheal.

15. chefcomesback

I will pm the info for paypal once I get it
    Ian , It will be here , I will be using the action feature of the forum . I need to link the pictures from my iPad to create the auction
    Thank you for helping out

16. Does anyone know how to/ would be willing to set up an online fundraising/donating thing through paypal ?

It's been used in the past to raise funds for Chris (knifeknerd) he got a sweet radar gifted to him for all his hard work. Think son had a fund as well when he was in need.

I'd love to pitch in a small amount of money, it all adds up.

17. chefcomesback

I will pm you his paypal , the line knife you are using has his timber on it

18. chefcomesback

I have listed a knife on auctions for him now

19. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Kiridashi auction up.

20. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Thank you to @Anton for participating in the auction and making the purchase.
    Donation sent to Cheal.