1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mustard recipes

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Finding myself dissatisfied with most offerings in various stores I started looking into making my own. I found that most mustard like most beer seems to be produced to offend the least amount of people and appeal to the broadest market segment. I seldom find myself in that segment. That situation has improved for beer quite a lot in recent years, but mustard not so much. I was surprised at how easy it is and no longer see any reason to buy prepared mustard. I am may biased, but I think this is better than any store bought mustard I’ve tried.

Here is my latest recipe. It is a moderately potent and flavorful mustard. Coarseness can be adjusted by your grinder setting and food processor duration. Heat can be tailored by adding the acid at different times. Add it right away for milder mustard let it work for a while before adding for hotter mustard. The acid seems to fix it at that spot. This mustard should not spoil, but keep it in the refrigerator to preserve the flavor.

Country Mustard #5

1/2 cup brown mustard seed

½ cup yellow mustard seed

1/2 cup white wine (water works here too)

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup yellow mustard powder

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon salt

I have a small hand crank coffee grinder that I use to grind the seeds. I’ve found that the mustard seeds are too hard to be reliably reduced in the food processor. I grind the seed to the desired fineness.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a non reactive bowl or your food processor if it is big enough until well blended. Add wine and mix well. Here is where the heat is being made. If you want it mild add the vinegar right away or if you want it hotter let it sit for a while. I wait 10 minutes. I then run it though the food processor to achieve the texture I like. If it seems dry add water to correct. Once you reach the desired texture, move to a non reactive bowl, cover and refrigerate for a few days. It will probably absorb moisture and need more water to correct to the proper consistency. That’s it. Jar and refrigerate. Don’t be in a hurry as it will be bitter at first, and needs at least a day to mellow before use.

Don’t add things that can spoil like onions or fruit etc.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Great info Mike I love a good mustard. Do your source your seeds anyplace special?

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Jim
    At the moment I am getting them from Penzy's. My brother in-law recommended them as gets spices from them to use at his work (Shullsburg creamery). They apparently season some of their cheeses. Their prices are pretty good for bulk seeds and powder.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.htm

4. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Another method is to soak the seeds in vinegar (and beer or whatever other liquid), salt, and seasonings overnight covered in cheesecloth, and let the seeds absorb the vinegar. This softens them, ferments the mustard a touch and gives it some complexity. Then just stick an immersion blender in and blitz to your desired consistency.

5. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I don't have a specific recipe to give, but I share your sentiment. Btw, if you ever go to Paris, go to the Maille mustard shop. They have mustard on tap, and it is good.

karring

6. Chop

Chop Founding Member

We make a Texas Pete mustard (a crappy hot sauce that's super popular in these parts) at work. We soak the seeds for a week. We let it sit after grinding for at least another week.

I hate, hate yellow mustard, but am quite fond of a good whole grain.

7. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I have wanted to make my own mustard for a long time. This post is very helpful. THANK YOU.

Unfortunately I can be pretty lazy and am more likely to point and click. http://store.mustardmuseum.com/

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Vagner, You're welcome. Once you make your own, you won't be satisfied with that mustard museum swill :eek:;)

9. Jim

Well I was lucky enough to have a "Mystery Mustard Maker" send me a mason jar of the intoxicating elixir.It has inspired me to be a full time mustard maker.

Really nice and complex, I cannot wait to start playing around with variations. Beer, Horseradish ect.. Many thanks Mystery man!

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

glad you like it Jim

11. Jim

Andre' When you say covered in cheese cloth do you mean just the vessel? Or are you encapsulating the seeds separately from the liquid? Thanks.

12. Andre

Andre Founding Member

No you are just trying to keep foreign objects out of your mixture, while allowing gasses and micro organisms to do their thing.

13. Jim

Ahhhh. OK than, thanks.
    3 lbs of various mustard seeds ordered and on the way.

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Now you have to make sausages to eat with the mustard!

15. Jim

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

arrghllllgl.....(that's my drooling sound)

17. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I definitely need to try some things in this thread, It makes me think of one of my chefs who would say "it's never a good day without dijion"

18. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

great pif Jim.. im in

19. Andre

Andre Founding Member

So you are ahead of the game.

20. Jim

If behind the 8 ball and a day late and a dollar short ,then yes, yes I am Andre'