1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mr.Magnus Interview

Discussion in 'Life on the Edge' started by Toothpick, May 24, 2014.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

KKFlogoK.jpg Who are you in the real world? Where are you from?

215.jpg My name is Magnus, I'm a 26 year old guy working as a CNC engineer. I'm born in Sweden and live here in Stockholm. I'm pretty laid back and enjoy having some beers, cooking with friends and just enjoy life when I'm not working.

Many hobbies.
    I been interested in music and instruments since I was very little. I started playing drums as a kid and took lessons for many many years. Later on (around age 15) I put the drumsticks to the side and picked up the guitar, and that's what I still play as a main instrument today.

I started finding kitchen knives interesting a few years ago when I just said to my self "alright, that's it I'm getting a sharp knife!" and after my first Japanese knife I was hooked and started collecting them and found good threads on forums and found out it's a lot of people that enjoy talking and using kitchen knives that I can learn a lot from, and that I have.

magnus.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg How do you take your coffee?

215.jpg I prefer black freshly ground.

KKFlogoK.jpg How did you get in to high end knife collecting?

215.jpg After my Shigefusa Kitaeji Petty. My first real high end knife that I felt was so nice to cut with and hold.

jkoumll_zps6f2d5c51.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg How many knives do you own? Have you modified them in anyway?

215.jpg Today I have around 17 knives.
    I have a very modified Forgecraft 10" chef knife that was a really fun project, more like a Japanese knife now :)

KKFlogoK.jpg You're stranded on a desert island and you can only have one knife...what do you choose?

215.jpg Hard question. I think I would go with my custom Takeda 240 guyto. Very thin, balance, good profile, good steel & good length.

DSC02542_zps3a835d11.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg I've seen pictures of some BBQing, do you have a favorite meal you enjoy?

215.jpg When it comes to BBQing I must say that I enjoy pretty much anything but fish. However It must be with charcoal.

KKFlogoK.jpg Do you have a favorite kitchen gadget? Or just something you reach for time and time again? (besides knives)

215.jpg Beer.

KKFlogoK.jpg Do you have a favorite knife?

215.jpg Right now I have a relationship with my Konosuke HD2 270mm guyto in mammoth ivory.

DSC02501_zps68f2f4c9.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg How did you get in to straight razor shaving?

215.jpg About 2 years ago when my grandfather died my father called me about a straight razor he found while cleaning his fathers apartment. He asked me if I wanted it and I said sure, It would be a nice memory to have of him I thought. At that point I knew nothing about shaving with straight razors rather then I thought they look badass :). I started looking around on forums about straights and found pretty quick that it's something many gents still use today and that once you learned the art, you can get the closest and smoothest shaves known. So I had my grandfather's razor honed by a guy and ever since the first stroke with that razor I have not used a Gillette. Today I'm shaving with straight razors every other day and nothing else. Have also learned the art of honing my razors. My collection is growing along with brushes. I enjoy taking photos of my SOTD (Shave Of The Day).

KKFlogoK.jpg What is your favorite setup?

215.jpg Women,Beer,BBQ,Music & vacation

DSC02417_zpsf5e75b25.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg What kind of beer do you drink? What is the most popular beer in Sweden? Any North American imports there that people love?

215.jpg I love beer. When it comes to American beer I have many favorites, to name a few.
    Innis&Gunn: Toasted Oak Ipa and Sweden Limited Edition Karlsson's Choice. (Damn Karlsson knew what he was doing!)
    Flying Dog: Gonzo Imperial Porter and Raging ********** Belgian-Style Ipa.
    In Sweden we have alot of smal local ecological breweries that I love trying out and they never seem to disappoint. So most of the time when I buy beer made in Sweden I pick something that was made locally, to tribute the smaller breweries that put a lot of time and love into what they're making.

magnus.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg Is there a big custom/high end knife culture in Sweden?

215.jpg I must say that I think the custom high end knife culture in Sweden is most about hunting knives. Witch I don't know much about. Really wish there was more kitchen knife makers here. We have the steel so why not :D.

KKFlogoK.jpg Are there any knife makers in Sweden we should know about?

215.jpg Tobbe Lundström,
    a guy I have been eyeballing for some time now. He has started making kitchen knives and I think that I have to pick one up soon.

DSC_0007_redigerad-2kopiera_redigerad-1_zps0347db0e.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg How is the wet shaving culture there? Any products we need to know about?

215.jpg Not that many guys here in Sweden. Wish there was more so we would have some fun gatherings.
    Palmolive is a brand for shaving soap that many like. Not a personal favorite.

KKFlogoK.jpg What are some unique meals that are uniquely Sweden?

215.jpg Flying Jacob. (skip the bananas if you ask me)
    Swedish Meatballs. Nomnomnom.
    Surströming. Viking food. Warning. :)

swedish-meatballs.jpg

KKFlogoK.jpg Do you have any final words for the members of the KKFora?

215.jpg Hope you enjoyed this read and hope to see everyone in the fun threads.

Kind Regards
    Magnus.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

great read, well done to both of you. In a battle of Swedsh Vs. Italian meatballs.... im not sure who would win.

4. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Thanks Magnus.

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Awesomeness! I really enjoyed reading through this one.

Favorite set up?
    Women, Beer, BBQ, Music, Vacation. :cool1

classic

6. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Nice read, thanks. I just looked up 'flying Jacob' and I am still shuddering lightly. Not as much as when I think about Surstroeming, though, and I only know about it through stories I heard... ;)

Stefan

7. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Good read and nice story about the straight razors. :)

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks men.

9. Cheers guys it was fun to participate.