1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

We're going to be moving out of our current location by the end of May. Please hold off on sending any knives in for work until after we have our new shop set up. I'll post when it's time to go live again.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
    Dave

2. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Good luck Dave, hope it's smooth transition.

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Mmm moving :thumbsdown

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Good luck with the move Dave! I hope its an upgrade all around:like:wa:cool1

5. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Good luck with the move! Hope it goes well :)

6. Twistington

Twistington Founding Member

Shop-move is a terrible thing, often you have gathered so much stuff you did not even know you had(but still too good to throw out) and adding a home-move on that makes it even more "fun".

Seems like the only good soulution is to buy a house with lots of extra space i.e a gigant garage.

Hope to see you back in the sadle soon!

7. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I hope you have a rather painless move, and everything goes as smoothly as possible. Good luck!

8. Dave Martell

We'll remain open for online orders (stones, etc) during the move. Since we use a west coast warehouse to ship our products our move here won't affect the timely processing of orders. Just sayin' [​IMG]

Thanks for all the well wishes and support!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Dave Martell

I'M BACK!!! Well I'm online anyway which while a small step for most is HUGE for me today.

So what have I been up to? A lot has happened since I last posted but some things have remained the same. I actually hate to admit this and to make this post but I need to. The situation with our housing and my work shop is bad - very bad. All of our belongings (including shop equipment) is in storage. I haven't been able to make but a few dollars through website sales and since I can't work with my hands we are income-less...99% dead in the water The truth is that we're nearly homeless at the moment, we would be homeless is it wasn't for the generosity of our parents. We've been staying in hotels for a couple of weeks and now we're in a cabin in a campground.

How did this happen? We were evicted from our apartment/shop because the landlord found a new tenant who was willing to rent all of the garage bays IF they could have our shop and apartment in the package. This meant a big income increase for the landlord (who's an attorney) so you know what he did..... Yup he took us to court citing that we owed back rent (nearly $4k) from a 5% per annum increase (that was in the contract from 2008) that he never asked for. At the time he served us papers we were 5 days late on rent and had been late off and on over the 6 plus years we lived there. Full disclosure here except for the scumbag's name, satan knows who he is and will be waiting.

Why haven't we found a new house/shop? There isn't one to be found. We, along with multiple realtors, have been scouring for a suitable home (and/or shop even) but nothing (NOT a damn thing!) has materialized. We are at a loss for what to do here. We're at a point where we NEED to get a place, I mean time has run out for us.

As for me running off with people's money, I can fully understand this concern, but let me state that I HAVE no choice but to make this business work out - to get a shop - and to get back to work. Most of you don't know this but I have a pretty serious medical condition that keeps me from going with steady "normal" employment. You see back in 2002 I had a brain tumor removed that left me with some side effects that run my life, I am 50% deaf (right ear nerves have been disconnected), I have pain on the right side/ear/neck, my balance is crap, I get migraines behind my left eye, and when it's cold the fat inserted in the hole in my skull contracts and puts me out. I have some days that are good and some that are bad but mostly it's a 1/2 day or by the hour type thing that would not allow me to work other than for myself which affords me the flexibility to deal with these issues. So like I said, I HAVE to make this work - I have no where else to go besides SSI or welfare or something to that effect.

For those of you who have contacted me through email, I'm sorry but that has all been lost. I will try to recover from my downloads what I can but I had to ditch my old (Verizon) email address. I have a new (Gmail) account though so I can move forward with this.

Finally, thanks for all the kind words and well wishes, it means a lot. [​IMG]

Dave

10. I am sorry to hear that. Is there anything we can do to help?

11. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Sorry to hear about the tough times you and your family are going through, Dave. I hope a new place becomes available soon for you. I'm not sure how deep your roots are there (you at least have inlaws in the area, and maybe a bit more), but I hope you can stay in the area.

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Wish you the best Sir and Karma will catch up to the other sooner or later.

13. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Best wishes Dave. Be sure to cast the widest geographical net possible, and be sure to let us know if there's anything (information, contacts, &c.) we as a community can provide.

14. butch

butch Founding Member

my new shop is not even wired yet so i cant offer you time in it at this point . i hope you find a plalce soon

15. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Best of luck for an aggravation free transition.

16. Gruder

Gruder 12.8 % more fun Founding Member

Sending positive thoughts your way, Dave.

17. Dave Martell

18. Dave-- I'd like to help out by buying something, but it seems like your store is down. Any updates?

19. Dave Martell

My credit card gateway has a problem that is taking the "pros" an impossible amount of time to fix. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be the end of it and I can re-open the store.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for thinking of me!

Dave

20. Dave Martell

This afternoon we signed a lease on a house/shop! Our new landlord is starting work tomorrow on building the shop to suit us, he said he needs about two weeks to get it all done, and then we're back in business! [​IMG]

Oh, and I just got word that my shopping cart is working again after being down for the last three days (or so). [​IMG]

I'm kind of afraid to go outside right now, might get struck by lightning. :k