1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Moritaka upgrade and spa treatment

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Pennman88, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Got this 270mm Moritaka kiritsuki from
    Cheflarge and it was a beast. It is AS clad in iron (I have my doubts) was about .08” thick 5mm above the edge and really convex. See cheflarge’s photo of the choil in the second photo. I thinned it to .012” at 5mm above the edge and got the edge .004-.006”. See the choil chit in the third photo. I reprofiled the blade down to 250mm and raised the edge. After a ferric dip, you can see how close the cladding comes to the edge in some places. I have a feeling that the cladding was actually on the edge on the original configuration. And the cladding was non-reactive to the ferric so I think it may be stainless. Time will tell. Right now this blade is an incredible laser and falls through food like a scalpel.

69774821-811F-4DB1-A123-3B2F54ABAD4C.jpeg 0E424FA7-A431-4037-B931-007906B8CCCE.jpeg

6439A65F-97D4-4072-8BDB-16B0D46AF060.jpeg

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Cladding going up to the edge makes it simply impossible to take or hold any edge.

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Agreed, but only if there is no core steel exposed.

5. If you look between 2-4 cm form the heel on both sides of the blade, you can see the cladding is so close to the edge on one side, within 2mm. I ground the blade back a few mm in this area. So I’m suspicious that the cladding was actually on the edge and the core was rather wonky in its centering between the cladding.