1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

More Fantasy Forging - GoT

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by thedispossessed, Apr 7, 2015.

1. So last time i posted one of these it was related to The Legend of Zelda. Maybe this will appeal to more of you folks. Here, this 'Man at Arms' clip covers the reproduction of Arya's sword 'Needle' from Game of Thrones.
    Enjoy, and then go stab some bags of wine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=461&v=CouB9aQ9vvc

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Those guys are good friends of mine, lol. Those videos don't even cover half of what they get up to!

4. Link still takes me to the 'Hilian Shield' video....which you linked the last time. Still super unclear what these guys do. It looks like they make real metal replicas of stuff in video games. Is there a market for that? Can't imagine that the pre-teens who play video games have much disposable income to pay for this stuff.

5. Mat and Kerry Stagmer...along with Sam Salvati...had a huge, and very direct impact on my first knife...along with my pretty much vertical learning curve. Those guys are the real deal.

As far as a market for video game (and TV/Fantasy book) replicas...dude, you have no idea lol. Think 'Star Wars' geeks...only across every genre. That Needle they made could easily be a $4k plus sword...and a bargain at that.

6. Toothpick

I would definitely buy Needle if I had that much disposable income. I would also commission them to make Longclaw and Ice. Even though technically Ice is no longer a sword in the GoT books.

7. I get they did a great job, but how many thirteen year olds can pay $4k for a sword? Working adults certainly don't buy this stuff, which is why I assume that there must be a movie prop business for this kind of thing.

8. That's what I'm saying Neal...working adults DO buy this stuff.

I get harassed constantly to do swords again, mostly Japanese swords yes...but 90% of those same guys would JUMP at a double edged blade with a hamon in the style of Longclaw or even Ice.

I tell them they couldn't afford the startup costs to get me to make a blade like that :p.

Look at what Jason just said lol. He'd buy the whole set in a heartbeat at those prices if he had the money.

9. As an example...my friend Rick Barrett does Japanese swords...but he also survived for many years on fantasy swords alone. Most of the stuff he made was so impractical as to be useless...but it was all made literally indestructible, and sickeningly sharp. I don't recall him selling a blade for less than $5,000-$7,000 in years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ric...v&sa=X&ei=zL0kVbCkIoqLsAW3iYDgAw&ved=0CCoQsAQ

Not sure if that link will work, but if not, search 'Rick Barrett Fantasy Swords'.

10. NMaxy, no offense taken but let me tell you, it'd be a mistake to assume it's only young people who buy video game and fantasy related merchandise. For video games specifically, many kids from the 80s, who are in the their 30s now grew up on that stuff and are still way into it.
    I can totally see a huge market for this stuff, i mean cosplay is such a huge scene, that's all adults!
    Also, the existence of forums like this show us that there are people so into kitchen knives that they spend thousands on knife collections, and consequently 80% of the stuff hangs on the wall permanently oiled and polished. So that's not too practical either, having some crazy fantasy sword ain't really a stretch, just a different flavor of nutty!

11. Toothpick

Well come on Cris let's be reasonable here. A heartbeat?....I doubt it. A nanosecond? FOR SURE!!
    And I would hang it on my wall and show it to everyone that came over weather they wanted to see it or not, it wouldn't be their choice to make. And 95% of my guests would be like "uhhh it has a name? A sword with a name?? ummm ok,..that's cool I guess..." But I don't care because I would shout "King of the North!" every time I touched them. And when I put them back up I would say "The North will never forget." And then I would sit on The Iron Throne and receive my audience.

But anyway, I haven't thought about it much at all.

12. I dunno… that pointy thing in the video looks like a regular epee to me.
    If we are talking about swords, then this is a Sword:

[​IMG]
    …though obviously the eyes on the dragon head must be glowing red

13. … I also remembered visiting Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. Man do they have huge swords there. One of them was 1.5x taller then me:
    [​IMG]

14. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

More pics ANTON!!!

15. I think that's one of Rick's swords lol.

16. I think that's one of Rick's swords lol.

17. [QUOTE="i mean cosplay is such a huge scene, that's all adults![/QUOTE]

What a messed up world world we would live in if this were true.

18. Neal...it IS true. Like...hugely true. I mean it's not ALL adults...but it's probably 80% or more adults...otherwise there would be no money to drive it, and trust me...there's money to drive it.

http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/

This is the link to the 2015 comicon here in Phoenix. The celebrities etc they have as guests don't come cheap...much less the venue itself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comic con phoenix 2015&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS494US494&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wuolVdHwA8X6sAXAy4PYCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=comic con 2014

The second link is a google image search of comic con 2014. You're not going to find many 'kids' there lol...and I promise almost ALL of those pictures are of the participants...not vendors and their employees.

I could probably make swords all year, not sell a single one in that time...buy a vendor's booth at the upcoming comicon and make enough to live off of comfortably for a year.