1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Minwax and Clear Wood Finish Gloss Lacquer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Anton, Nov 11, 2014.

1. I ordered Minwax and Clear Wood Finish Gloss Lacquer from Amazon on my mail forwarder address in US. Then I got a notification from mail forwarder that they aren't able to ship this to Russia. And Amazon doesn't accept return for those items.

So if anyone in US want them — for the price of shipping they are yours. Otherwise they will be destroyed by mail forwarder after some time.

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

That is peculiar. Is it hazardous?

Anton have you tried the Tru Oil gunstock finish yet? Great stuff as is the wax. Should put a nice sheen on your handles.

3. Yeah, they told me that it has some compressed hazardous stuff that can't be shipped over air. And they don't offer any sea shipping methods.
    So I hope there would be someone who is interested in this stuff.

I do use and love Tru Oil. It's my primary method of putting a finish (lots of thin coats of tru oil). And in case I don't want it to be glossy, I use wax (renaissance wax mostly)… but wax isn't as durable as Tru oil.

4. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I sent you a PM Anton

5. OK, thanks Mark.
    I guess those stuff is going to its new home in the near future.

6. Matts,
    X2. Good stuff!
    John

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Tru-Oil is great, but there's a super secret awesome thing that is slightly better. Haha

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Lefty, could it possibly be super glue?

Super glue gives a killer shine :)

9. Pro-Custom maybe? I've heard Michael Rader was using it.
    Tried ordering it once, but they refused to have any deals with overseas customers.

10. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Anton, I received the lacquer and sealer. Thank You.
    Lots of the different knife makers have different secret finishes.
    You can do lots of coats of CA glue. Sanding down to bare wood between coats.
    Or use an oil blend. Light coats and let them dry completely between coats.
    No matter what the finish, if you can get the surface glass smooth with all the pores filled the light will reflect off the surface showing the figure and grain patterns to their best.