1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike's knives

Discussion in 'Knife & Gear Galleries' started by MotoMike, May 4, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Nothing fancy, but should hold me over for a while

a couple of miss matched blocks
    IMG_20140504_110221_430.jpg
    part of my original Gerber Balance Plus set. They put weights in the handles to make the knives balanced. I don't hate them but I see they are executed at a much lower level than the Japanese knives. They have been with me for about 30 years give or take. Suffered much abuse.

IMG_20140504_110129_693.jpg

More recent acquisitions (post KKFora) A Masakage Yuki Wa Petty 150 from another KKFora member. Arrived with a killer edge sharpened by the previous owner and a forming patina that is still building, taking on a blue cast that I quite like. I haven't done anything but use and wipe it clean.

A Tojiro DP Damascus yo Gyuto 180. Needed sharpening upon arrival but is a very nice knife.

A new Kaneshige stainless Wa Gyuto 210. spine and choil needed rounding and the edge needed sharpening out of the box but with just a little work it seems to me to be an excellent knife. I just received it a few days ago so don't know how it will be down the road, but it feels good to me now.

Oh yeah, I guess it isn't a recent acquisition, the Kai Wasabi nakiri. It's spine and choil had to be rounded. I've had it a long time and though i know it is a mass production knife, I still like it. It does feel a bit clunky now though. IMG_20140504_105156_406.jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I guess the surprise for me was that three Japanese knives are all lighter and thinner and harder than the comparable Euro inspired brethren. Except for the parer, I hardly reach for any of my old knives, they just don't feel good anymore.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member