1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

mercer millenia

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Rose9257, Feb 8, 2016.

1. anybody have experience with this brand of knife?
    http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=5780
    this is what they have in the kitchen I work at. They seem to perform well, but it is likely that I am also easily impressed, as most of my evidence with knives involves low quality knives that can barely hold an edge long enough to wash the residue from sharpening off
    any input appreciated

2. I wonder how people can call X30Cr13 a high carbon steel. It is not. Barely sharpenable. Cheap and stainless. Poor imitation of Victorinox Fibrox series.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Nobody "cuts" to the quick Like Benuser!:cool:

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Had Mercer Genesis knives in culinary school. Still have them but try not to ever need them.

Been in a kitchen that had the millenia. They were not fun to sharpen. Every station had a pull through sharpener and it would be needed multiple times a night. Using a stone could be OK but would need so much thinning after all the pull through passes. I gave up trying to keep one nice and just brought in my beater Tojiro.

5. looks much like the Victorinox knives, since I have a disdain for Mercer knives, I wouldn't use them, would much prefer Victorinox just my 2 cents

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

At $20 , it won't break the bank , but you get what you pay for. They are designed to perform adequately for basic tasks. They are cheap enough to be semi disposable in commercial kitchens. A little more money can get you a lot more knife though.

7. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Life is too short..