1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Martell Gyuto Grind

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've never really been able to capture my grind in a picture before and just happened to notice it being shown in a picture of a recently completed knife.

Notice the flat(ish) section on top of the blade and then the blended transition below that going down into the bevel....

Martell gyuto grind.JPG

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I like the pic, and knife!

4. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Beautiful plunge line, Dave!!! :cool:

5. That looks great Dave! Now I want to cut with it :).

6. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

*This is a follow up to the above post.

The knife shown below should pretty clearly show the grind that my gyutos have. This picture was taken at the very start of the process using a 36x belt. I grind high bevels on the coarse belts and then blend the upper blade face down into the bevel using ever finer belts.

P1010018.JPG