1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Tasso....

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by zwiefel, Nov 22, 2015.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Part 3 in my journey of learning how to make cured meats: Tasso!

Quite the ingredient list that Dardeau gave me...including something I wasn't familiar with...at least not by that name...not really
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The most challenging aspect of this project for me was butchering the Coppa out of the pork shoulder...this is not something I've ever seen done, nor have I see this cut in a store.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two Coppas, as you can see, one of them is larger and reflects what I learned from the first one.
    [​IMG]

The Tasso paste has been applied.
    [​IMG]

And allowed to sit for 8 days, and unbagged
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then air-dried for 24 hours.
    [​IMG]

A handful of hours on the smoker, with cherry wood...
    [​IMG]

And this comes out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a batch of red beans prepped for Monday, to make use of this amazing Tasso. My entire house reeks of spices and smoke. Thanks again Dardeau!

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

looks like you nailed it Danny. What was the time and temp in the smoker?

4. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Thanks guys! I made a huge pot of red beans with it...and they were fantastic.

Mrmnms: time in the smoker was roughly 3 hours @ about 325F...internal temp was 185F. When it had only rested for about 20 minutes, it was quite dry and tough (that was actually the photo above). After chilling in the fridge for a couple of hours, it was quite tender and moist...very ham-like texture (surprise!).

5. Where's that drooling Homer Simpson .gif when you need it?!?

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Mmmmmm---love tasso ham wrapped around scallops.

7. Pour a can of green beans in a pot, put some super-thin sliced tasso on top, cover, bring to a boil and shut off, let sit 5 minutes. Really good, easy quick side dish. Jacobs in LaPlace, LA does good tasso, andouille sausage.

8. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Another Danny thread...

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Super random, but this thread made me really miss Danny's contributions. What a solid guy....

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Ok, that was a bit weird. I didn't see you had posted until after I wrote my post. And only 9 mins apart.

11. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I think we're in the same time zone. This was my early AM read the Internet before all the cooks show up time. I bet you do something similar in the morning.