1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Making a Deli Ham, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Wagner the Wehrwolf, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I have enjoyed making a ham for Christmas. Roasting it in the oven, glazing it. Better than anything I have ever bought. My daughter loves deli ham. After having such a great experience making a ham I was thinking of buying a meat slicer and making my own deli ham for my daughter. But I'm stumped on the bone! I have not seen an uncooked boneless ham. Would I just cook a shank end and then cut off as big of a hunk of meat as I can off the bone for slicing on the meat slicer? Or is there a better way?

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

my suggestion.... Share

and ill have cheese with mine

3. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

4. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Thanks, that's part I'm good with. But to run it on a meat slicer I need boneless. I guess what I am asking is would I just cut as large a piece of meat off the bone as I can to slice on the slicer or can you buy or order an uncooked boneless ham? I've never seen one but I live in the sticks so we don't have the best variety and stock here.

5. Sorry if a silly question, but can't you just cook one with the bone and remove bone pre slicing?

6. sachem allison

sachem allison Founding Member

just remove the bone before you cook it and tie back together. To answer your question, yes you can buy boneless hams.

7. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Thanks Son!

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

To me , Deli Ham is boiled ham. Brine cure and "poached " in water at about 170 degrees until it reaches and internal temp of 155. Then cool it and chill overnight in water.
    Brine: ( 4-7 days depending on thickness of ham, fully submerged)
    1 gallon
    1 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt
    1/4 cup sugar or honey
    3 Tbls Insta Cure/ pink salt
    1 Tbls pickling spice
    Bring to simmer and dissolve salt and sugar. Chill brine before adding boneless ham. Rinse well when finished brining. You can tie it before cooking
    I think Mucho would suggest a small amount of sodium erythorbate ( 1/2 tsp) to help the cure. He knows cured meats .

9. Wagner the Wehrwolf

I think I found the key to my confusion to what seems like a ridiculously stupid question. I didn't know that the meats that I buy at the deli counter were manufactured. No wonder the ham is boneless! I found this while looking for something else and it all clicked.
    http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/formed

I still hope to get a decent meat slicer and follow Son's recommendation of deboning and tying.

10. Yep, even many of the roast beef products are pressed...as well as turkey breast. Kinda weird...but for some meats (like ham and turkey) it works ok. The manufactured roast beef is just gross though, lol.