1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Makes sense of the Steels

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 18, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Man I see a lot of steel choices out there, White numbers 1 and two, same goes for the blues, then there is AG, HD and a host of others. Can these be somewhat simplified by anyone, be nice to know what I am looking at when im window shopping lol, but I am certain there are other members coming in who would also like to know

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

3. James

gators and tigers and bear oh my,... and some bigfeets to

Thanks Rick

4. James

Whoa, lol waaaay more then I want lol. if im looking at one brand of knife and they have HD, Whites 1 and 2, and Blues 1 an 2 what would be there top of the line, and the bottom of the line, and how would things fall in the middle is more what I was going for. I know I was looking at something and Blue 2 seems to be there top dog as it holds a better edge then the White one they also offered, but man starting to cross to other makers that line got blurry quickly lol

Ive got a lot of things to catch up on, feels like day one in the nib all over again

5. Rick

Okay, from the steels you mention, you are referring to Konosuke, since they are the only knife maker selling HD.

HD (and HD2) are semi-stainless steels proprietary to Konosuke. I had a couple of HD's, and the steel takes a good edge. The knives Konosuke makes from this steel are all "lasers". Fit and finish have fallen off a bit in my opinion. Over time, a grayish cast will form on the blade unless you polish it. Something like a patina, but not as nice looking. I kept mine polished.

Konosuke also makes lasers in white #2. The blade will be somewhat reactive until a patina forms. In my experience, white #2 takes a somewhat keener edge than HD or HD2, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Konosuke also make a number of other lines, such as the Fujiyama series, which are either white or blue steel cores clad in soft iron. I had the opportunity to use one in a passaround. The fit and finish are superior to the HD/HD2 and white #2 lines. The soft iron cladding is very reactive and will stain onions brown until a protective patina is formed.

Then there are the steels you didn't mention, like VG-10, ZDP 189, ginsanko and Swedish stainless. I've no experience with Konosuke's handling of those steels, so I can't comment on them.

Confused? You won't be, after next week's installment.

6. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

:rolleyes: Rick! Dude! :D

7. James

Amazing,... I was looking at those blades by the way, but not really for any reason. as I have seen the white and blue thing come up a few times... so every house makes their own thing with there own names as well as some universal types that are also out there ?

I cant wait till next weeks installment, and if you are kidding, I still cant wait cause imma badger you till youse do it anyway lol

8. Rick

"Confused? You won't be..." is the tag line of an old TV show with Billy Crystal and Richard Mulligan - Soap - that aired in the early '80's.

But, ask away.

9. James

I was very early made in the early 80's, but I catch what your throwing out there

10. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

I can hear the theme music in my head. As far as the rest of what you said... Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

11. Rick

If I were to write a decision tree for choosing a gyuto, the specific type of steel would be way down toward the bottom. Above of it would be the construction of the blade (san mai or monosteel), the handle type (Western or wa), the maker of the blade (custom, small shop or mass produced), and the general category of the steel used for the edge (carbon, semi-stainless or stainless). Knives are, after all, a tool, and it doesn't matter if a blade is made from the finest steel in the world if it doesn't perform.

12. James

San mai vs monosteel, can we get some info on that ?

13. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Nice Rick, I would also throw in the heat treat and who is doing it into the mix. If that step is boogered the knife will never be what it could be.

14. Rick

San mai construction refers to knives where the hard steel core forms the blade's edge and the soft iron/stainless forms a jacket on both sides, as contrasted with monosteel where the blade is made from a single piece of steel.

15. James

Guessing there are notbmany Japanese monosteel blades

16. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

Notbmany is an exclusive producer of monosteel blades, they're sourced from Jamaica though, not Japan.

17. Rick

Quite the opposite. The Konosuke HD/HD2 and white #2; the Masamoto KS wa-series, as well as the VG and HC; the Misono Swedish, 440 and UX-10; the Gesshin Ginga and Uraku; JCK Carbonext and VG-10; the Hattori FH, the list just goes on.

18. James

you know I think im no further ahead with this stuff then when I started this thread,... but its great stuff non the less... specially the exclusive Jamaican blades,... wonder if thats who makes the bob sled teams blades

19. greasedbullet

greasedbullet Founding Member

Rick:
    Konosuke Ginsanko 3 is stellar. At least in their wa-handle ginsan line. Sharpens easily, gets very sharp, stays sharp for a long time. That and Watanabe's blue 2 are my favorite steels that I have used so far. (for whatever that is worth).

Sorry to derail the thread. Carry on

20. James

I derail more threads then the train companies of late... so im not one to judge, but im off to window shop some knives there were just mentioned