1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Knife Storage

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Wagner the Wehrwolf, May 5, 2019.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

In an effort to increase and improve my knife storage I'm thinking of creating a board and hanging on the side of this storage rack and mounting two magnetic strips to it.

Looking on Amazon there are nice stainless steel strips, or wood or bamboo covered strips sold specifically for knives. There are also magnetic strips for tools. The difference primarily seems to strips made for knives are taller, ~2" vs 1", and strips made for tools are plastic coated. Magnetic strips for tools are also half the price.

Any thoughts? I worry that the stainless steel strips will lead to scratches. Wood covered seems like a nice touch that eliminates the scratch risk but not sure if it justifies the expense. I'm after function not form. The price of the magnetic tool strips is calling to me but is there an issue with those strips being only half as tall? Is there any issue with the plastic coating? Or am I overthinking all if this.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I actually purchased the $7.00 mag strip from Ikea and put a thin piece of leather on it. Works like a champ.

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I went with a magnetic tool strip from Amazon. Two 18" bars for $16. Not quite plug and play. Took some handy drill work. But a much better solution to the bucket I've been using. Will probably mount the second bar below this one. That'll get at least 16 or so knives out of storage.

2019-05-11 15.04.02.jpg

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member