1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Machi

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Mark Brock, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Hi all. I wanted to ask if someone can help me understand the machi?

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

On traditional Japanese knives, the tang is burnt into the handle, not glued or epoxied, as the handle is meant to be removed to allow the blade to be polished. Each time the handle is reinstalled, the tang is driven in a little more. The machi is simply the amount of tang remaining that can be driven into the handle before a new handle must be used.

If the tang is glued or epoxied into the handle, there is no reason to leave a machi, unless you are trying to mimic the traditional appearance of a burnt in handle.

Note that uneducated Western sensibilities tend to regard any knife with a machi as poorly finished.

3. Thanks Rick. Very good info.
    I waver on the machi as a traditional feature which is why I ask. It has a practical purpose and that's what I wanted to understand.

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Technically, the machi is just the step in width from neck to tang. Even with no visible gap present, a machi still exists on many blades (particularly single bevels and some regional double-bevel styles like in Sakai).

I believe the original question and Rick's answer were both speaking to the idea of gap rather than step, but I thought it would be good to clarify a bit on the word itself.

5. Rick

Hmm. Gator (zknives.com) Defines the machi as "Narrow section of metal between the notch at the end of the neck of the blade - L on the Diagram, emoto(K on the Diagram) and the handle, approximately 5mm long."

Does that not mean that if the handle is flush to the end of the emoto, there is no machi?

6. I'll tell you what I was wondering about regarding the machi.
    I've worked primarily in AEBL until recently, and now do mostly 52100 carbon.
    My concern was whether there might be a danger of rust or corrosion if the shoulder meets directly with the handle.
    If this were true the machi would make sense in eliminating the issue. I have a lot of respect for the traditional ways of Japanese makers.
    There are usually traditions for good reason. Sometimes the reason can change over time.
    In this case, resin epoxy probably mitigates the concern.

But I had to ask....

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

The zknives definition has come up before, and it is not how most Japanese craftsmen use the term. I brought the same thing up on the other forum when JKI announced the machi series in the Kochi line.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  8. Rick

Thanks for the clarification. Was I at least correct on the purpose?

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm not an expert on kitchen knife construction but as far as I know, your explanation of function was correct. It also allows some adjustment if the handle loosens slightly from compression in the tang slot or expands from environmental conditions. It also seems to inform other knife design styles that do not use machi (i.e. a fluid tang-neck transition), in addition to the relative simplicity of forging.

As a rust point, it seems reasonable but I haven't heard or read anyone providing that rationale in Japanese. Of course as I said, I can't claim expertise.

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

My understanding of the Machi is the same as Robert's, it's the step from the emoto to the tang. When you have a traditional install and a gap is left between the emoto and handle, for the reasons Rick pointed out, then you have an "exposed Machi". If the handle is fit tight to the emoto you have a "hidden Machi". Just another explanation for what you guys already said.;) I've also heard an exposed Machi or traditional install referred to as "Tokyo style".