1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Low sodium....yeah, I know...read it anyway!

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by zwiefel, Jun 21, 2014.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Friends,

A dear friend just had a very serious heart-attack...that was also very expensive. Now he's got to change some habits if he wants to see 50....but ****** is the point of that if he can't enjoy life? One of the things he enjoys most is food...so I'm looking for ways to help him keep enjoying food despite a need to cut back rather severely on the sodium.

I'm not looking for recipes, the interwebs are full of those, I'm looking for concepts, techniques, etc. that you may know about...esp the pros who sometimes have to deal with this in the BOH...but also any of you homecooks who are in a similar situation.

I'd appreciate any pointers, articles, books, etc. that you can share.

TIA!
    Z

2. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

The sodium content (in mass percent) of MSG is roughly a third of the amount (12%) than in sodium chloride (39%).[17] Other salts of glutamate have been used in low-salt soups, but with a lower palatability than MSG.

Buy some msg at an asian market and put that ******** on everything in place of salt?!

3. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I need to do some research on MSG...it has a really bad reputation with people...but that is unlikely to be deserved.