1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good container for liquid nitrogen

Discussion in 'Se Ecglast' started by Taylor, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a container to hold liquid nitrogen. This will be used for heat treatment of aeb-l steel, so the mouth needs to be wide enough to allow for a knife to be lowered inside. Wondering what some other makers are using out there for this. Anything to stay away from, or anything specific I should be looking for?

Any information would be amazing!

Thanks!

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

My wife's office keeps a tank in the back room (doctor's office). It's an agricultural product, a little bigger than a 20g propane tank, maybe double the size. About a 5-6" inch opening. They are used on cattle ranches in this area for branding and artificial insemination. Makes sense that her office would have one I think, the doc that owns the place owns and lives on a farm.

3. Taylor

Yeah, I was told to ask farmers that do there own insemination for the liquid nitrogen itself, as they would be more likely to sell it to me at cost, but not sure of what brand, or even where to start looking to find the tank. Some of the ones I've looked at don't specify how wide the opening is on the page when I'm looking them up.

4. Look up 'Liquid Nitrogen dewar'. That's what the container is called. I don't have one but will probably be picking one up in the next few months...as I'm considering doing some work in stainless.

5. Liquid Nitrogen Dewar

I would also suggest making an insulated box (if you have to, cut up a bunch of cheap styrofoam coolers and put them inside a cardboard box, and then make an insulated lid) to keep your dewar full of nitrogen in. If you don't, my understanding is that a full dewar will only last a few days. If you can insulate the dewar though...I'm told it will last a week or more.

Hope that helps.

6. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Semen tanks. ;). Ain't cheap though.

7. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

You can use this one on Amazon. The neck is 2.25" wide.
    The LN2 should last 40+ days.

8. Taylor

What do you do for wider blades with the opening that size? Guess that would rule out me doing a stainless cleaver lol

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

You can also search on "Dewar flask"--

http://www.cryofab.com/products/spec_sheets/Cryofab_CF_Dewar_Flask_Specs.pdf

This place has them as large as about 30" in diameter and 4 feet deep.. That ought to handle anything you can throw at it. But you better have a lot of LN2 to fill it up.

(Your trivia for today--"Dewar" should be capitalized. It's named after the inventor, James Dewer. )