1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Long handle wood

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MattS, Aug 25, 2016.

1. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I just took delivery of a large cleaver (friggin huge). It is in great condition, but the handle needs some love. All my scales and blocks are 5 inches....Does anyone know where I can get longer pieces of wood? I need 17 inch length. (Would love to find some tiger maple for it).

2. butch

butch Founding Member

look for wood turning blanks lots of options might check to see if you have a local exotic wood store (i have one about 25 miles from the house)
    if you then want it stablizes call K@G knife supply to see if they can handle the length you have

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Turkishwalnut.net? Or something... Had it book marked at one time. Can't find it now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. I could help, I have some in this length. I think curly and masur birch, and some nice patterned curly maple, but the maple you'll probably want to send to stabilisation. Possibly i have some others as well.

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Thank you for the replies gents. I actually came across someone who had some curly koa that I am going to use.

Hopefully I don't mess it up and end up with a reasonable handle.

6. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Just saw this. Koa is always great ;) For larger pieces, just ask, although I usually cut them to 10" max for stabilizing. Unstabilized, I have tons of stuff.

Stefan