1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sushi!!

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by BathonUk, Oct 10, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi huys:D

As title says: 'Let's talk about sushi'.
    I love sushi. From time to time I am preparing this wonderful dish in home. Would you mind to share your recipes? How do you prepare rice? What about vinegar sauce? I will appreciate any recipe. What do you put in to your rolls? Also if you have pictures of your sushi do not hesitate to post it. Let's see what you got!:D

2. This is an old photo of one of my early attempts to copy my wife's favorite maki from a restaurant in Boston. Crispy tempura batter, cucumber, tobiko, sriracha mayo inside, with salmon, mango puree, wasabi tobiko and lemon outside.

salmon maki2.JPG

3. This thread is going to cause me financial harm...I am so looking forward to learning to do this well at home...but alas I am shipping fish in, as there are no decent fish mongers in reno.

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Greg dude Its been so long time ago I actually dont think I have the pictures anymore.
    There is this one thing however. Its called a nigiri with seabass.

I like to eat the rolls with tempura and spices and whatnot but theres nothing that tells the story faster and cleaner than a dollop of rice with sliced fish atop.
    Its time again to make some

5. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Did I hear Sushi!!! Love our sushi here in Vancouver made it at home tonight for dinner, Prep a bunch of stuff then Take turns listing ingredients for rolls.

IMGP2364.JPG IMGP2370.JPG IMGP2367.JPG IMGP2375.JPG

6. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I used to play around with sushi when I lived in Germany, although Germans have a very different concept of 'fresh' fish. But out here in Honolulu there are sushi places on every street corner, no need to make it at home, much easier to pick it up somewhere. Even some supermarkets have decent sushi here.

Stefan

7. Just did my first batch of sticky rice tonight...came out much better than I expected. Picked up some tuna,, but have to let it thaw.

Going to try some tuna rolls this week.

8. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

My 10 year old requested sushi for Thanksgiving. I need to brush up on sushi skills. I can't believe how sushi photos make me crave sushi.

k.

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Ok, so guys what are your recipes for rice and vinegar?
    This is my best looking sushi I have ever made in home. My problem is that it takes me few hours and at the end of it I am super tired and my back hurts because of staying in kitchen all the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

just got real hungry looking at these. A+

11. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Great looking spread Greg. I couldn't tell you an actual recipe for rice seasoning as I kinda throw some mirin, rice wine vinegar and sugar in a pot and adjust to how I like it.