1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about my butcher knife....

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Hi folks,
    I'd like to show you a slightly tweaked version of my butcher knife that I just started making a few weeks ago. I received some pro feedback which got me thinking about some things that I wanted to modify so I jumped in again with both feet and came up with this. [​IMG]

Some things to note with the new design...

1. Belly has been added to the profile. I pushed the belly out just a bit to add more curve.

2. The blade length has been stretched to 7.5" (from 7"). This is a measurement taken in a straight line of the cutting edge.

If the cutting edge is measured on a curve there is actually 8+" of edge found and this is due to the profile belly.

3. The widest part of the blade measures 43mm. This is an increase in width (at the curve) over the first knife by 5mm

4. The heel width is now 35mm which now allows for a pinch grip (should you want to do this?) without getting sliced on the edge.

5. A more pronounced finger notch was created in front the of the handle to allow for a secure purchase when thrusting forward.

6. I made damn sure to keep the tip aligned as dead center as humanly possible (by eye). The first two knives are pretty close but this new design is near perfect in this regard, you can see this evidenced by the drawn in line on the blank.

Please keep in mind that the pictures are of an un-ground blade, meaning it's thick still, they're just for proof of profile. I added in a Forgecraft scale to some of the pictures to give you a more accurate idea of what it will look like with a handle attached but again this is just for mock up purposes, the actual handle will be slightly different.

Also worth noting is that (unless otherwise requested) the heel will be squared off for safety. The pictures show a sharp pointy heel but again this is a prototype.

If you've got some thoughts that you'd like to share I'd LOVE to hear them, please post away. [​IMG]

And if this is a knife that you'd maybe be interested in purchasing I'd REALLY LOVE to hear this too. [​IMG]

Dave

P1010001.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010010.JPG

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member