1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's start a pass around!

Discussion in 'Se Ecglast' started by Taylor, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Like the thread says, let's start a pass around. I've already got one on the list (ChefLarge), and will most likely ship this off Monday morning. Blade length is 212mm (8.3") long, 53mm (2.1") high at the heel, weighs 203g (7ounces), and is 357mm (~14") long overall. The fit and finish on this one is subpar by my own standards, though it cuts well. The grind is fairly simple. Rules, use it for a week or two. Only sharpen if you absolutely know what you're doing, and you are responsible for shipping fees to the next user, or it's return to me (please get extra insurance $400 total). Other than that, please feel free to give feedback (both positive and negative), and for me, maybe show a picture of what you're making with it. Let's keep the list to around 10, so I can get the knife back before summer next year. Then, I'll probably post it up for auction on the site to see what I can get for it. Have a great day!

20181227_4b.jpg 20181227_4c.jpg 20181227_4d.jpg

Attached Files:

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Yes sir! :D

3. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Generous of you (but I will not attempt to put my name on the list; might like it too much and forget to forward it).

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I'm in.

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Count me in please

6. Taylor

So far the list is:
    1. cheflarge
    2. MattS
    3. marc4pt0

7. Taylor

Knife was shipped out yesterday. Safe travels my friend...

8. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Very nice. Looking fwd to trying it out!

9. Taylor

Me too! I'm eager for feedback (good and bad), and probably already have a good idea of what it is anyway. Though, I wouldn't be doing this if I thought I knew everything. Now I just get to wait, and occupy myself by spending time in the kitchen doing my own thing.

10. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

11. cheflarge

Have shipped this beauty to MattS.
    Scheduled delivery 1/2/2019.
    Hope he enjoys it as much as I did! Full review after the holidays. Thanks Taylor for doing this.
    Al

12. Taylor

13. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Getting closer...

14. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Knife arrived.

15. cheflarge

My take:

I received the knife in very timely order. Unfortunately upon unboxing I found that there was a micro chip on the edge about three inches from the heel. I contacted Taylor & he said go ahead and fix it. The chip was easily removed with a standard progression on the stones. Let me just say, "I am a big fan of Se Ecglast." Taylor is a pleasure to deal with and always quick to respond to any and all communications.

I found the gyuto to be a great cutter. I believe that the steel is Aeb-l, which I found the heat treat to be exceptional. Sharpening was solid w/ great tactile feedback on the stones. Big fan of the handle, material and contour. Geometry is solid with the profile being very pleasing both to the eye and in use. Knife is a a bit blade heavy, which to me, is right in the wheel house of the overall package. Only thing I would change/improve would be to round the spine. Overall I truly enjoyed using this knife (she got extreme use over the holidays!!!) I would carry this knife in my roll with pride! Thank you so much, Taylor for doing this. Best!
    Al

(These are strictly my opinions.)

16. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Just a heads up, I received the knife a little bit ago. It's getting used proper.
    I'll post thoughts soon. My apologies for the delay.
    Taylor, let me know where to ship it next and I will get on it.
    Thanks!

17. Taylor

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me! The steel is Aeb-l hardened to ~62 hrc. Definitely looking to improve with every knife I make, so I'm glad that the overall package is solid overall. I look forward to sharing more of my work, and thanks for being part of the journey.

I'd like to thank you as well for taking the time to play with the knife. No worries about the delay, as long as it's getting a great workout. Knives are meant to be used. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as well. I believe you are the last in line, so I'll send you my address a little later.