1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Let us talk bread

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I like bread. I like toast with REAL butter. I’ll say that again....REAL butter. It’s the only butter I eat. But anyway...bread...

Nothing beats warm homemade bread with REAL BUTTER.. ok, this isn’t about butter. It’s about bread.

Bread for sandwiches, bread for toast and eggs in the morning, bread for PB&J. BTW, I like my PB&J with REAL BUTTER on it.

I found a really good bread the other day at the supermarket -

Dave’s Killer Bread

http://www.daveskillerbread.com/#fifth-slide

I got the Thin Sliced Good Seed. It was rather expensive at about $5 per loaf. But dang if it isn’t good! Just so much more flavor than the plain ole White Bread of my youth. Ya know the kind, the Wonder Breads, Healthy Life, Bimbo, Sara Lee, or any of the familiar generic store brands. Bleh! BLEH! BLLEEEEHHHH!!!!! I just can’t stomach that stuff anymore.

This will be the bread I buy going forward. Or any other non-top 5 Billboard chart breads. There’s just something about GOOD BREAD that does it for me.

And REAL BUTTER!!

So what ya got? Ya’ll eat any good bread lately?

2. Toothpick

3. I used to eat Dave's. It was pretty good stuff.
    About two years ago I embarked on a sour dough bread making kick, and that was a lot of fun, and there was just nothing you could buy to compare with that.
    It made the absolute best toast (with real butter of course!). :)
    I started my keto diet about 2 years ago, and I lost 30 lbs in fairly short order.
    The only bread products I have eaten in two years now is some wood fired local pizza, and that only twice.
    I keep thinking about reviving my sour dough bread though. And now you got me thinking about it even more.
    It was good! :)
    I used good baking flour, dark rye flour, and einkorn flour in about equal amounts.

Below is my Instagram post back in the day...

Sourdough-1.jpg

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. Toothpick

Can’t you keep sourdough yeast indefinitely? I feel like I’ve heard some bread maker using sourdough starter for going on hundreds of years. I’ve never had fresh homemade sourdough. Dang it does look good!

6. Man, I can't describe how good fresh well-made sourdough is out of the oven. It will spoil you for any other kind of bread pretty much.
    Exceptions for me are red lobster biscuits, Nick and Jim's cheese biscuits, and Outback rye black biscuits. Not that they were better, but they have their own credibility. :)
    So yes, the yeast will continue to live indefinitely, but it must be fed. If I remember right I added about 1/2 cup of fresh flour every other day or so to keep my starter alive in the refrigerator.
    Then when I mixed up my dough with some starter, I would let it sit in the refrigerator over night and the yeast starter would colonize all the dough.
    Then you go through two rises outside of the fridge. You bake on the second rise. 450 degree oven inside a le creuset dutch oven with lid.
    It is a bit of work. I used to make two loaves at once in the end, and they would pretty much see us through the week for bread.
    So the actual work as maybe 90 mintues to have good sourdough all week.
    It was worth it for me, even when I was working full time. It was that big a difference, but like many, I absolutely love good bread.
    Now if I could have bought the same thing locally I might have done that, but it just isn't an easy thing to find.

7. This is the guy and the video series that got me started into baking.

8. I can't in good conscience talk about great bread without a little info on why I quite bread. Sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade. :)

9. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Thanks for this info Mark

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

We've been eating Dave's Killer good seed for a while because things have been too busy to make bread. To step things up a notch, try cultured REAL butter--even better is European-style cultured butter. I think the Euro-style has about the highest fat content around. It's worth it.

11. Is that something you can get at the grocery store? I don't think I've ever seen it. Sounds delicious Lucretia. :)

12. Toothpick

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I usually get Organic Valley brand. They have it at the local grocery--part of the Kroger chain. Our local Walmart also carries the "regular" (non-European) Organic Vally cultured butter at a much better price than the grocery. Our grocery has been out of the European style butter the last couple times we've been. We're doing order on line/pickup m the parking lot for our groceries these days, and the last time we tried to get some butter the store shopper, bless their pointed little head, brought out VEGAN european-style "butter" as a potential substitute. VEGAN! BUTTER! Oh, the horror! (What really kills me is that the vegan spread has higher saturated fat than the real butter.) The cultured butter is my guilty pleasure for things like warm bread, grits or muffins. We just use plain ol' regular butter cooking. Trying to be healthier and doing some substitution in some dishes, but nothing is as good as butter. I can eat it all by itself. Manna from heaven.

Jacque Pepin has been posting videos on facebook with simple recipes. I saw this one today making an easy no-knead bread. It might be a good one to try.

14. Toothpick