1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Lemon sherbet recipe anyone?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by jigert, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Does anyone have a solid lemon sherbet recipe they stand by? Been doing quite alot of ice cream on my cuisinart but haven't found a good sherbet recipe yet. Thanks!

2. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Here ya go:

First, you prepare sugar syrup.

600ml water
    225 g's caster

Boil the sugar with half of the water for few minutes, then add water and allow to cool. Theres plenty ways to make a sugar stock syrup do it the way you are pleased just remember its consistence will have a lot to do with hows your sherbet looking.

If you have glucose, add now. 60 g's
    Zest 10 lemons and juice them too. Taste to your liking. Boil the syrup again with the zest, one minute, and let it sit covered for 45 minutes. Add the juice to your liking and chill.
    I would vacuum it then with the zest and keep in the fridge for some time.

To sum it up, find the syrup consistence and you could make any sorbet.

3. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Thanks, bieniek! I'll try it out this weekend.

4. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Sherbet has dairy in it as far as I know. Here are some recipes I recently shared in an email to my former boss.

Remember, there are really only two kinds of ice creams: infused ice creams and problem ice creams. Infused is simple, use this base and steep anything you like during the cooking process, then strain after it cools before you freeze. Mint, coffee, basil, pistachio, lemongrass etc. It’s foolproof. Problem ice creams are when you try to add in certain products that remain in during the freezing and pacotizing process. Blueberry, peach, pumpkin, sweet potato etc. Problem is you are playing with the balance. Water, fat, sugar content are all balanced extremely well with this base to create a final product which has great texture, mouth feel and that perfect amount of frozenness without melting too fast or freezing too hard or creating that ************ crystalized texture your diet Pepsi slugging friend Alex was so fond of.

Vanilla or “Infused” Base

Ingredients:

• 4 Liters milk
    • 1500 grams cream (at 35%)
    • 10 Bourbon vanilla beans scraped
    • 1000 grams sugar
    • 200 grams atomized glucose powder
    • 400 grams nonfat milk solids
    • 20 grams Cremodan ice cream stabilizer
    • 750 grams pasteurized egg yolks
    Just leave out the vanilla for certain infusions like basil for instance.

Method:

Set the immersion circulator to 185 degrees. Combine all ingredients with a hand blender then set up large sized vac bags in baine marie with the top folded back. Pour mixture into the bags then add the infusion ingredients. Place in chamber vac with edge folded over the seal bar and start the machine. Stand close and wait for the anglaise to bubble up towards the bar, there’s usually a “false start” then when it starts to get close hit the stop button. Place the sealed anglaise bags in the water bath and turn the temp down to 179.6 degrees and cook for 25 minutes. After the timer goes off remove bags from the bath and shake around then rest at room temp for 5 minutes. Now drop the bags in an ice bath to fully cool. Once fully cooled, rest in the cooler for at least 4 hours. Once fully rested/cooled, strain and freeze in 1 pint increments only. Freeze overnight for 24 hours. Pacotize, then rest in freezer for 4-5 hours. Serve.

Some PCC favorites were:

Mint chip, Basil, Ginger, Caramel (Valhrona Caramelia with chopped up candy bar pieces) Miso Lemongrass, Oreo Cookie, Cinnamon but not that ************ fake cinnamon just sprinkle cinnamon powder, Coffee, White Coffee (mix white chocolate coins and coffee beans then just let them hang out in a cambro for like a month so the fats in the coins absorb the coffee flavors then separate and use the coins with the vanilla base…win) Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, Maple, Malt, Chocolate, smoked chocolate, Spicy Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, Cookie dough, Reverse chocolate cookie dough. I can’t remember all of them really there were so many combinations.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients:

• 2 Liters milk
    • 150 grams sugar
    • 12 grams Cremodan ice cream stabilizer
    • 180 grams Trimoline
    • 570 grams Valrhona Caraibe
    Method:
    Heat milk to 65°C. Measure sugar and stabilizer together, then zero scale and add inverted sugar. Add to milk, whisking in or using immersion blender. When mixture reaches 75°C, add chocolate and whisk/blend nonstop. Bring mixture to 85°C for three seconds, then immediately chill in ice bath. When mixture is cool, strain through a chinois while blending with an immersion blender. Let base mature for 4 hours in the fridge then blend with an immersion blender once again and freeze in one-pint deli cups. The base will be ready to go in the Pacojet the next day.

Pistachio Sorbet
    428 g water
    22 g invert sugar
    197 g sugar
    4 g stabilizer
    207 g pistachio puree, 100% pure

First, run a canister with slightly toasted pistachios in the pacojet canister with the coupe blade many times until a paste like texture is achieved. Should be like really thick peanut butter or play dough. Protip: add a few drops of almond extract to the paste on the last blend. Be careful, that ******** is strong.

1. Warm the water to 65 C.
    2. Mix the stabilizer and sugar well. Measure the invert sugar and add to water. Whisk up to 85 C and pour over the pistachio paste.
    3. Blend the base well with an immersion blender, chill, strain and deep freeze.
    4. Turn the ice cream in the Pacojet and reserve until service.

Chocolate Sorbet

300g dark chocolate
    500ml water
    60g trimoline
    4g sorbet stabilizer

Preparation

1. Heat to boil the water, glucose and stabilizer.
    2. Add the chocolate to melt.
    3. mix well with hand blender.
    4. Allow to cool.
    5. Freeze at -8°F/-22°C for 24 hours before processing.
    6. Pacotize twice for optimal texture / smoothness.

Lemon/lime sorbet or use this as a guide for other fruit sorbets with adjustments to water and sugar.

500 g lime juice or lemon juice

200 g sugar

55g atomized glucose powder

5 g sorbet stabilizer

Warm water to 65 degrees celcius\Mix dry ingredients and add to the water. Stir until 85 Degrees celcius. Pour over lime juice and mix. Chill for 4 hours then freeze in 1 pint containers for 24 hours. Pacotize then set in freezer for 4-5 hours. If using berries or other fruit, boil everything together until the pectin is released and sugars are melted. Vitamix, then strain into pint containers, cool in ice bath then fridge for 4 hours, freeze for 24 hours, pectize, set in freezer 4-5 hours, serve.

For dinner service they need to be pacotized by 2 pm at the latest. 12 pm would be preferable but 2 is the cutoff

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

First we need a chamber vacuum, an immersion circulator and a Pacojet.

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    What could go wrong.

9. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Somehow I mistook sorbet for sherbet…
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the recipes Theory! A lot of equipment, techniques and ingredients I don't use in my home kitchen, but I'll try and figure some of it out.
    A good foundation to start experimenting, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Just buy a Pacojet. You won't regret it. And if you do plenty of restaurants would take it off your hands.

11. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Lemon sorbet with home ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 sugar
    3 Tbls corn syrup ( you can omit and add extra sugar)
    Zest of 2 lemons
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    Simmer sugar , water and syrup to dissolve , remove from heat and add lemon zest. Strep a few minutes or longer to taste. Strain, chill. Add lemon juice and chill before processing. You can add a Tbls of vodka to your mix. Definitely a home ingredient. Works like anti freeze and help texture without affecting flavor.

12. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Forgot about this thread... I went with Bienieks recipe, sort of. Turned out great! Man do I love lemon desserts! Now that spring is finally here I'll experiment a bit more with this. And I'll try to take some pics. Are there any ice cream/ dessert bibles out there you'd recommend?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014