1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Work

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by Mark Brock, Dec 7, 2017.

1. I'm finishing this knife up, and have a question for all.
    I'm working up a saya over the next few days, and I have this idea.
    I'm not a huge fan of saya pins. I am thinking of a retaining magnet similar to what is used for knife rack boards. Has this been done? What do you think of the idea?

[​IMG]

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. MattS

MattS Founding Member

It's been talked about once or twice, but I don't know that it has ever been done. I thought about putting a small magnet at the tip of the last saya I made but forgot until after it was glued up, lol.

Would like to see you do it.

4. Yep, magnets are also an option. I think thirst time I heard about magnetic sayas was with Japanese knives from Blazen. And later I saw few western makers adoption that type of construction.

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I have a knife on borrow from another member here. It came with a generic fits-all bamboo saya sporting magnet staying power. I dig the concept actually. Pretty smart in my humble opinion.
    It works very well

6. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Another solid looking knife by the way

7. Sounds cool. I’ve seen a couple makers lining the inside of the saya with felt or leather which seemed like a good idea to me

8. Rick actually has the first saya I ever put together. That was hand chiseled and the fit is so snug there was no pin needed.
    That one is teak, which is really oily and has a lot of gription.
    I appreciate all the advice. I'll see what I can work out and will post up the results.
    There are a couple of other options on the table.

9. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

And that saya is as good as any I've had, including those by Marko Tsourkan. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, Mark.