1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Larding

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Wagner the Wehrwolf, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I've been reading about older kitchen techniques, things not as commonly used today as in time past, like 50, 100 or more years ago. I really like history and the kitchen. And while I know what larding is, I've never done it or witnessed anyone doing it. I read there are different styles of needles. Can anyone recommend a larding needle style? I also read reference to a larding knife? What's that for?

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I had an old German friend who was an amazing cook, he used to lard everything from turkey to venison. He used a tool that looked like a swordfish harpoon to "Cut" the channel in the flesh and then you lifted the tip up threaded the lard onto it and pulled it back through. I have seen the needles but never used one.

3. Andre

Andre Founding Member

They work just like they look like they should. Helps with lean pork.

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Definition:

Larding is a technique for cooking meats where long strips of fat are woven through the meat using a needle called a larding needle. Strips of pork fatback are commonly used for larding.

Larding maintains the moisture of the meat while it cooks and also adds flavor. Larding tends to be employed when roasting meats , especially cuts of meat that might otherwise dry out when roasted.

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Never done it but I do bard most poultry.

6. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I have never heard of this technique but am really intrigued to know how it works, see the tools, and also see your results!

7. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Kind of like an old school butterball turkey. Melted rendered animal fat oozing out while slicing. I believe traditional roasts were cooked to higher temperature and lean cuts benefited from the extra fat. Used to lard a lot of roasts by request. Very simple to do , not so pretty, but the the results are perhaps rich or unctuous, depending how you think of that word. I think heartburn. Larding needles are cheap, but I've used a scrubbed coat hanger in a pinch.

8. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Sounds like there are maybe two different styles of needles? One where you push the needle through the meat, attach the strip of pork fat to the tip and then pull it back through. The second is more like a giant sewing needle, the strip of pork fat is attached to the back end of the needle and then the needle is pushed all the way through the meat with the strip of fat trailing, just like sewing.

Is one method better than the other or it just depends?

Also any idea about this knife. Looks like a paring knife but is called a larding knife. Was it just used to cut slits and pack them with pork fat? Seems like any knife could do that.

[​IMG]
    http://www.fissler.com/products/kni...ct/p_profession_larding_knife.html?no_cache=1

9. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I would say the pointy profile and the size of the blade make it an efficient knife for that job, but yes, any knife could do it.