1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD Kurosaki 210mm Sasame gyuto, 165mm R2 nakiri

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by XooMG, Jul 6, 2016.

1. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm going to be offloading a few knives to fund a new project, so these will be the first sacrifices.

Kurosaki Yu 210mm gyuto "Sasame" model from KnifeWear
    (reground by Mr. Kurosaki's shop)

SOLD!
    Story time!
    I initially bought this knife to try out some of Mr. Kurosaki's newer work and whether Cobalt Special (apparently the same stuff Fallkniven uses) would be a good stainless option. I requested the Knifewear guys reseat the handle to reduce the giraffine neck that the knife comes with by default.

When I received the knife, I thought it was a bit chunky and predicted it'd be a wedgemonster. Foolishly, I decided to test the hypothesis by cutting one carrot. When my suspicions were confirmed, I contacted Knifewear about a return. They said no, since the knife was now used. Shame on me for being honest.

Not wanting to pass the chubby woodsplitter to an unsuspecting victim, I ended up going through a friend visiting Japan. They'd deliver the knife (and a few others) directly to Mr. Kurosaki and his shop and request they be reground to be less...problematic.

The knife was reground, and some weeks later I received it back. Finish-wise, it looks about the same as it was before, though obviously the grind reaches higher, and the tip seems a bit thinner.

I have since cut one sweet potato but have otherwise left the knife alone.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Reground (notice the bevel extends behind some hammer marks now):
    [​IMG]
    Forgive the photos, they were taken with mixed light which messed with auto-color settings.
    [​IMG]

Kurosaki Yu 165mm nakiri, R2 tsuchime
    SOLD!

[​IMG]

There will be a few more sales coming in the next week or so.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016