1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kramer auction

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by neelesh, Mar 26, 2014.

1. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

is there no limit to prices ? watched the auction last night and a kramer damascus with a snakewood handle went for over 31k. is that ridiculous or what? sure buys a lot of Burkes with that money

2. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

I'm with you on this one, but for the person who spent 31k, it's likely not even a drop in the bucket.

But like you said, I'd rather get a dozen or more custom knives for that price. The thing is his regular knives don't go for that much if you're chosen from his list. It's just supply and demand that pushes the bidding that high.

Still, it's always fun for me to watch how much they go for :pop

- Steve

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. butch

butch Founding Member

i drive a 6K$ truck :)
    i am glad a maker can get income like that. i dont think it will last forever tho its jsut the way things seem to work

5. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

better be urushi handled with an elaborate maki-e artwork on it for that money

6. SpiceOfLife

There's just a lot of people with money out there, and some people are willing to pay that auction price to own a Kramer. But it's not like this is a weekly thing either, so people tend to jump on them when they become available. I'm sure there's also a few who get caught up in the bidding frenzy that drive the price up too.

At least on the plus side, Kramer does give 10% of the profits from the auctions to charity. Not something he has to do, but something he chooses to do.

- Steve

7. MattS

MattS Founding Member

That is freaking great for Kramer. I have never met him, but seems like a standup guy. I will have to settle for the Zwilling version for a bit.

8. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

9. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

this was the knife

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

That's a good looking knife indeed. But what makes them tens of thousands of dollars? Exclusivity? Solid gold accents?
    Or do you think this was just a case of two people that REALLY wanted the knife?

11. SpiceOfLife

It's a luxury status symbol to some. Like I said, supply and demand. There aren't many available so people pay extreme prices during the auctions for them if they want them. Value is perceived and subjective, right? A man in China just spent $2 million on a Tibetan Mastiff because he could.

Someone might even view the knife as a work of art rather than just a tool, so they could also justify it that way. Some paint, some sculpt, Kramer creates knives. He's also clearly great at branding, to have the ability to sell a knife at that price.

- Steve

12. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Supply and demand.

13. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

EEeeesssscccchhh. I know you used to spend a years pay on a sword but on a knife? No thank you. That one doesn't trip my trigger either.

14. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Amazing knife maker and a pretty cool guy. For that kind of money, it would never see anything but the display case on the wall. :) (For the record, I would never spend that kind of money on a knife, even if I had it.)

15. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

What I could do with 30k and someone just wasted it on a knife.

16. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

You may say wasted, but I bet that guy who paid out on it will say quite the opposite. 32k? Heck yeah that's a lot of cheddar. I could pay our car loans of with that, and/or my school loan. But that's where I'm at. Person who ponied up that kind of dough is obviously not where I'm at. And that's totally fine. Plus,I bet the new owner of this stellar blade gets to write this off as charity. So did it really cost him/her 32k? I dun knooooooow

17. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Really nice looking knife. I am sure the person who bought it feels like a king when he stumbles across these threads.

18. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

I love his work but at that price I think I'd need to win the lottery first and even then it would be a pretty tough sell. ;)

19. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I reiterate, What I could do with 30k and someone just wasted it on a knife.

20. Haggises

Haggises Founding Member

I bet the guy was bidding while thinking "there's a guy in a knife forum who could use this money. Nah, waste it on the Kramer -insert evil laugh-"