1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Storage

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andrew, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

What's the best way to store a knife? I currently have an in-drawer slotted knife organizer like these. I worry that these trays may not be great for my knives' edges since the edge rests on dowels. They're wood, though, so they may be fine.

I've also seen magnetic knife holders. Are those coated with rubber or something to keep from damaging the blade?

Thanks for any info/links/photos you can provide. This may help others who are new to fine kitchen knives, as well.

-Andy

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Drawer?
    [​IMG]

(J/K)
    I really keep them in a combination of block and mag. For those not in rotation they are kept in a deep Boyt pistol case.

3. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Is the next drawer down the collection of lost fingers?

4. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Of topic but I couldn't help but notice that handle on the Cut Brooklyn. Very nice.

Back on topic- how about one of those nice hidden magnetic wooden strips for the wall? I know not everybody has the right kitchen for this, let alone the right home "atmosphere" (read children, naive wife/roommate), but they're pretty cool. Maybe get smaller ones to put In to the drawer(s) for your knives? I think that'd be pretty cool...

5. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Saya in drawer maybe... I havent thought about what to do with mine yet... but out of site I think is my policy to keep friends who are "experts" from knowing what they are doing with it lol

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I saw that handle too, and I'm wondering if it might be Blok Knives, but my guy says Cut Brooklyn. They are kinda similar.

Anywho, I should go change my my pants after seeing that pic. Oh, and Matt, I'm glad you're keeping my Rodrigue safe. :D Just kidding.

7. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

Love that drawer shot! Well played.

I have a few counter blocks for the low use knives and a mag block for the current "go to" group. I'm planning on getting another mag block and doing two rows on the side of the cabinet.

[​IMG]

8. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

It's pretty full, time to make a bigger one.
    [​IMG]

9. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

Kitchen Knives are here :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All Others:
    [​IMG]

10. gavination

I always see the kukri first haha.

A bit off topic, but not too far. Have you guys experienced problems with mag strips magnetizing your knives at all? I have one that I haven't used yet and my friend had this problem. Just curious before I start using it.

Thanks!

11. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Some of mine have magnetized but how is this a problem?

12. gavination

I guess I wonder how a magnetized knife behaves when sharpening. Small metal filings that bind to the blade. Somewhere on my scientific mind it poses a problem haha.

13. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I've used magnetic racks. As long as you put them on spine first the edge should be fine if the magnetic bar is exposed.

I have a 18 slot knife bag most of mine fit in. The few I let the roommate use and keep at the house are my old culinary school knives with plastic guards in a drawer. The ones in my bag have guards on them too. Unless I'm only cutting a single onion or a frozen pizza I grab something from my knife bag.

I will probably get a magnetic knife rack for when I move out of this condo.

14. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I am keeping them in the forshner mag covers... only problem is that it stuck on my carbon knife... so it's a good option for stainless only.
    Otherwise the quickest fix is to make cardboard blade guards. Thinking of getting a magnetic bar.
    Is it difficult to make one on your own?

15. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

here is one way, use magnetic strips, keep them in a case (your local picture framer can make you one). Next time you want to use a knife, whip it off the case, use it, oil it and put it back., And let everyone enjoy them the rest of the time. Have had no trouble with iron filings etc and the knives dont really get magnetized (or at least cause no issues that you notice). have been doing this over 20 years, no trouble

16. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

17. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

18. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow what are your hours of opperation, I want to go to your store.... er house

19. butch

butch Founding Member

love that display

20. gavination

Is this real life?? How is this your house?!?! :O