1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Knife budget

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Rami, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Well, my ever loving and patient wife sat me down a couple of days ago and it looks like I spent 2.5 k on knives over the last 6 to 8 weeks. There is not a day that goes past where I don't go 'gee that's nice' and want to buy something. How do you all cope :)

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Wow. In your situation, I'd be pushing up daisies! Since joining the forum, I've spent only $325 on knives. I have to figure out how to parlay your story into a larger knife budget:D

3. Well I did have to talk a bit fast. And no more purchases until next year. I am a completionest so I need to have one for each type. :$

4. Stereo.Pete

Stereo.Pete Founding Member

I have a unique relationship with my Wife, in that we respect each other's hobbies. I don't question her spending as long as she doesn't question my spending and we alway end up good in terms of our bills (mortgage, etc.)

5. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

I don't want to talk about it..... I don't have an obsession.... But look at all those shiny things....
    Yep.... Next topic...

6. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

At B&B every year they have a thread called... Uh,.... Something, hang on lemme look it up again, oh ya, "Shave Purchase Sabbatical" tastes bad saying that doesnt it ?, although my pen section of the forum picks up for a bit while all these guys try to go on shave purchase time outs lol. My point here is (Yup I actually have one) Those guys dont necessarily stop acquiring, just stop buying... not exactly the same thing here, as in if you have any older knives you no longer need, and can let go, you can trade, or sell, to refinance your zero'd out budget. a new knife comes in, let SWMBO know you sold a knife or made a trade... at most youll get a night on the couch, other then that you will be fine

(SWMBO for those that dont know means She Who Must Be Obeyed)

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Start cooking nice meal at home and argue that all the saving from going out can go to cooking tools.

8. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I am single, so no problems there. However, I had similar talks with the nice lady at the bank which might not be much better... She was asking very strange questions, like "Why do you need so much wood?".

Stefan

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

[​IMG]

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Start a company and fund your purchases, nursery, and trips with it. Then she can be happy about your interests. :D

11. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Thats what all the ladies say!

12. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I was trying so hard not make any wood jokes but you beat me to it mate :)

13. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

just explain $2.5k in 6-8 weeks is pretty good pacing considering a single knife from Bill Burke or Devin Thomas could set you back that amount. "And look honey, I was able to get 5 knives for that same money!"

14. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I just find more restaurants to sharpen knives at or try and pick up extra hours at the hourly job

15. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Get them so they look alike, she may not be able to tell the difference?? LOL. I have a new compound bow I got that my parents have no clue I have it; it's in the soft case and the other bow is hung up, so they only see one bow :)

16. Well the issue isn't in the knives themselves. It a lot harder to hide a bank account.

17. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

sell plasma :)

18. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Keep it all on paypal from here on out. Any knife from BST is basically a 'passaround' you just have to collateralize it while you have it.

19. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Hiding a bank account is pretty easy.....

All this is relative, if you can drop 2.5 k on knives and still make your commitments then who cares, if not then its a pretty big issue. I used to put aside 200.00/month for knives. Now I have sold them all and do cool stuff with my kids instead....much more rewarding.