1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiritsuke

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by TaJ, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

Who owns a (single bevel) Kiritsuke and uses it a lot and what length is yours? As i guess they usually have Machi the edge will be shorter than on a non Machi blade. Also, what do you use it for and what do you avoid cutting with it? So many questions .. :confused:

2. Tarok

Tarok Founding Member

I use a 240 nenohi kiritsuke in a sushi place often. I use it for negi,katsuramuki, and making ken the most, but use it for slicing fish as well as rolls sometimes. I do not cut anything that has bones or too tough of a sinew as it is the one of the most chippiest(?) knife I own. I am not sure if I am knowledgeable enough, but feel free to hit me up anytime and I can try to help out. Watch out for the tip! This will be my forth one I've tried and owned and lost the tip on the rest of them quick.
    Taro

3. TaJ

Tarok, i see. Ya, was thinking of the tip as well. Do you think the 240 is about right? Also, is yours measured at the tip to heel or tip to Machi?

4. Tarok

Tarok Founding Member

I'm sorry Taj! I was just getting home last night when I wrote that. It's actually a 270. Mine is measured from the tip to machi which is about 1.5mm. I think a 240 should suffice for most tasks, but would not think to use one in place of a gyuto/chef knife imho. Would go for the 270 if you want to get good slices of fish.

5. TaJ

I see. I'd use it for the thin slicing of meat, :baconand so on. Also i guess it'd work for slicing up vegetables.

Ok, i admit it, i predominantly want it because it looks cool. :rolleyes:

Has ayone an opinion on the Kiritsuke from Watanabe san ?

6. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

So I won one of these on the other forum, and it is on it's way. I'd be curious to hear about what types of techniques are best utilized to harness the awesome of a true kiritsuke single bevel knife. I understand it is a cross between a yanigiba and usuba - anyone have any reference material on what types of cutting tasks are best accomplished with these knives? I would love to learn how and when it is appropriate to use this bad boy for a home cook. I cook mostly western cuisine, but do use plenty of veg and protein, and value nice clean cuts and the ability to make picture perfect slices. (just because I can).

7. TaJ

Nice. Do you mean one from Watanabe? I'd like to see [​IMG]

8. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

The one en route is a Konosuke Fujiyama Ginsanko 240.

9. TaJ

Looked it up, very nice. :thumb

10. TaJ

In the meantime i've read up a lot on Watanabe knives. Even though until now i thought that i don't need nor want a damascus blade, the Kintarou-Ame knives i've seen from Watanabe san made me want one. That is, until i learned that the Kintarou-Ame option more than doubles (adds 120 %) the price of the knife, which is even more than the Honyaki option (adds 110%). I want the 300 mm Kiritsuke, which would have a blade lenght just a bit longer than my 270 mm Gyutos. The price would be 1245 US$, even without a handle upgrade or a saya. So, i will pass on Kintarou-Ame :(

Also, i've learned through Watanabe's website, that he offers 'Togidashi' finishing, which means he's using more synthestic stones and a natural stone for final fisnishing. Does anyone know if that's only for the edge or the entire blade road and how does the final blade differs with Togidashi? Also, if one does not order this option (which adds 30% to the base knife price), will the knife still arrive sharp and nicely finished?

11. roberto

roberto Founding Member

The knives from Watanabe comes always very,very sharp and with a decent fit and finish,at least the 3 I have;nakiri and santoku pro serie and a petty 120mm white from his specials.

12. TaJ

I see, thank you for this info. Now i wonder what's being done to the blade with Togidashi finishing.

13. roberto

roberto Founding Member

The Togidashi is a form of sharpening using a set of 6 different water stones. We use this method only on our high grade models due to how much time and attention it takes.
    For example, our normal blades are sharpened by water grinding machine #60, water belt grinding machine #100 and then we complete the process for the edge with water stones #600, #1000, and #8000 by hand.
    The Togidashi finished blades are sharpened by water grinding machine #60, water belt grinding machine #100, starting off much the same as our normal models, however, we complete the process using water stones #600, #1000, #2000, #5000 and #8000 by hand to give a much more refined beveled edge. The final step is to sharpen on a natural water stone, a stone which was given to me by my ancestors.
    Most knife makers do not use the time consuming process we use, instead opting to use dry grinding machines and buffing machine. This can sometimes damage the temper on the blade and melt the micron edge as the friction creates heat. Professional knives should never be sharpened using a dry grinding machine. This process makes our knives very special, as we take meticulous care with each and every blade we make.
    I have studied metal engineering in a university. My family and I used to make many less expensive knives, and finally I reached the conclusion that hand forged and hand sharpened knives are simply of higher quality which is why I have returned to the traditional Japanese style of blade-smithing.
    Togidashi is for single bevel blades. It is not provided for double bevel blades.

This I find on mr watanabe his webside

14. TaJ

Thanks roberto, yes, i found that on Watanabe's site. What i was wondering is to what extent there is a difference not just on the edge itself. For instance if the natural finishing stone is used all the way on the blade road and thus the (kasumi) finish might be different and more refined. I guess (and hope) so.

I decided i want a Watanabe and ordered a Kiritsuke 300m blue steel with Togidashi sharpening and Ichii octagonal handle.

:jump

15. roberto

roberto Founding Member

success and give us a review please

16. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

I use a 240 fairly frequently- it's designed to be a hybrid yanagiba/usuba and I use it primarily for slicing vegetables and rarely for proteins. Kiritsuke are great knives but need some practice time to get comfortable with them.

17. TaJ

hbeernink, from which brand/maker is yours?

This is a 240 mm from Watanabe's site:
    [​IMG]

18. hbeernink

Keijiro doi

That watanabe looks nice- I tend to favor kiritsuke that aren't really tall, more yanagiba like. Some of them look like they're taller than a gyuto (and still single bevel)

19. TaJ

Ah, k. I've just looked up Keijiro doi Kiritsuke, they look very nice. Kind of good i decided quickly that i want Watanabe for i'd have a hard time chosing when i'd have known all the nice options (other makers). I don't know how my 300 mm version will turn out (profile, geometry), i've asked Watanabe san to build it the way he deems best.

20. hbeernink

I think you're in for a really nice knife.... Let us know how it works out!