1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

katana, Japanese sword

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by mano, Jun 10, 2014.

1. katana, Japanese sword
    Anyone know anything about katana swords? I'm looking for something around $75 that's not a complete piece of junk. To be used as a display and cutting watermellons and the like in half.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

If you are able to successfully negotiate a sale of Butch's sword for around $75, I'd like you to represent me in all my future knife acquisitions. I'll even pay a commission, frugal that I am, for such services.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. My wife was given a Katana when she passed her 5th degree black belt test. I can find out what it is/where it came from and get back to you. I don't know anything about swords, but given it's ceremonial nature, I doubt it is anything exotic.

6. NMaxy, thanks.

7. butch

butch Founding Member

seems fitting that i post this then

8. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Guess we know who's boss in your family:D

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I can see a $44 Katana breaking on you, but the OP is talking nearly twice that amount.

10. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I think you're looking at a few hundred dollars before you enter the range of usable swords from mass producers. I've used a few cheapies and a few nicer customs for cutting and a pretty nice pre-Showa Japanese sword, and honestly cheap blades aren't bad, assuming the furniture is OK. However, anything in the OP's price range is likely to be rubbish.

11. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I thought the Katana was like the sword of all swords...?
    Made by 5,6,7,8th generations of Japanese sword makers, beaten and turned 3,000 times until the steel is sharper than a razor.
    I also thought they go for thousands of dollars.....?
    $75 bucks can get me a Katana Sword?

12. Good lord, people!;)

I'm looking for a cheap katana REPLICA for someone who wants to see if he can cut a watermellon and a bottle of water in half. Just like the jamokes on youtube. Eventually he'll get bored and either shove it on the wall or in the corner.

Until he told me and spelled out the word, katana, I thought it was a Ninja sword.

If $75 buys only a crap katana are there any other single blade swords that'll cut sh!t in half for a bit?

13. butch

butch Founding Member

look at Baltimore knife and sword they make alot of usable swords and i think there prices must be OK since they sell piles of them

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Don't know much about their swords, but Cold Steel knives have a reputation for being tough. Probably 20 years ago I had a Cold Steel Tanto when it was pretty much the only type knife that they made. It was well done and tough as nails. I see now they have katana in the $250 to $400 dollar range. Probably wouldn't break when you are dicing up a water melon or a rolled up tatami mat.

15. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've spent less on stainless eBay ones that turned out to be solid enough... i don't have them anymore but i used to hack watermelons with them... but tough to judge which are okay and which are complete junk on eBay

16. OK Mano - Not sure if this will help. The sword given to my wife is made by Hanwei, and is called the Practical elite Katana. Good luck!

17. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Godan in karate? That's pretty serious.

My kid is going for her black belt in taekwondo at the end of the month.

18. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

If we talk a 75 dollars sword and the OP is for sure then please change the title to the Chinese katana.

You want japanese for 75 bucks, buy a decent paring knife haha