1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

jns 800 hairline crack

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Fabio Fullin, Jul 6, 2015.

1. A few weeks ago i've noticed an hairline crack running along the middle of the stone and it scared me a little. It's not really big, it is half the lenght of the stone, but still, I'm a little worried. I know it's a "spash 'n go" stone but I used to soak it for really short times just in order to let it absorb a little bit more water. Just splashing felt me a little unconfortable with this stone cause it was absorbing a lot of water! I really feel good when I use it tho! cuts really nice and creates a good amount of mud. For this matter I don't wanna lose my jns 800 or break it down just for such mistake. Has anybody else encountered such problem or is it just my fault?
    I'm still a beginner and I still have a lot to learn, I'd appreciate your useful help!
    Thanks in advance :)
    Fabio

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Generally, soaking a "splash & go" will cause hairline cracks. I am sure Jon from JKI could answer any questions and explain this in much greater detail.

3. Just so that we are clear, we are talking about this stone, right?

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/jns-800-matukusuyama/

I don't know anything about cracks in that stone, but I just wanted to say that it is not splash and go. The description clearly says "This stone need to be soaked for 15 minutes and also can be soaked all the time". I have this stone myself and usually soak it 20-30 minutes before using it. It is very thirsty and needs water during sharpening as well.

Edit: Now when I think of it, these type of stones may be sensitive if drying them too fast?

4. [​IMG]
    That's JNS800 that Maxim gave me last autumn during JNS gathering. I'm not sure whether it's the same JNS800 as he's selling on his website, or just some earlier prototype. Anyway, that long hairline crack was there when I received this stone. Can't really say if it became bigger, but so far it doesn't really bother me and I use this stone pretty often. Soak for 15-20 minutes and then keep it in the dark place for another 24 hours for drying. Works great for me.

5. Yes it's the jns800 matukusuyama. I have the same hairline as on the Anton's photo. Nice to know that I'm not the only one with this "problem" (if it is). However thanks for the reply! I now feel myself more comfortable.

6. Would there be any benefit to attaching it to a wood, glass, or other type of substrate?

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Was thinking the same thing Cris.

8. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

you should probably put it on a board and lacquer the sides