1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

JC Broom's W2 Honyaki Three Knife Set (PICTURE HEAVY!!)

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Now this was a fun project. JC had come to me looking for a single gyuto, and had a $500 budget. We got on the phone and by the time he got off, he had instead purchased three stock knives that had been made as a set! Needless to say the set cost a bit more than $500, lol...but between his eagerness and my willingness to allow him to pay as he could afford, we were both more than a little happy at the end of the call. JC is a chef at heart (and by profession again soon!) who makes beautiful dishes that I'm sure taste as good as they look. I'm really happy these knives will be put to use in the creation of such amazing works of culinary art!

Steel - AISI W2 tool steel from Aldo at New Jersey Steel Baron

Handle - Blue and grey stabilized Oregon maple burl from Mark at BurlSource, with orange stabilized buckeye burl from Craig Stevens. Spacers are alternating pieces from the handle wood, and the liners are nickel silver.

Here's the pictures!!

DSC_5615s.jpg DSC_5617s.jpg DSC_5618s.jpg DSC_5620s.jpg DSC_5621s.jpg DSC_5622s.jpg DSC_5623s.jpg DSC_5625s.jpg DSC_5626s.jpg DSC_5627s.jpg DSC_5628s.jpg DSC_5629s.jpg DSC_5630s.jpg DSC_5631s.jpg DSC_5633s.jpg DSC_5634s.jpg DSC_5636s.jpg DSC_5637s.jpg DSC_5638s.jpg DSC_5639s.jpg DSC_5640s.jpg DSC_5641s.jpg DSC_5642s.jpg DSC_5644s.jpg DSC_5645s.jpg DSC_5646s.jpg DSC_5648s.jpg DSC_5649s.jpg DSC_5650s.jpg DSC_5651s.jpg DSC_5653s.jpg DSC_5654s.jpg DSC_5655s.jpg DSC_5656s.jpg DSC_5657s.jpg

Thanks for looking!

2. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Yowzaa! Awesome work Cris!

3. Thanks Bill!!

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Cris, these are awesome.

Actually the pictures look kind of oldschool to me. Dont know why? Maybe the darkness or the handles ? Heh, donno...
    So I was kind of surprised to see the posting date. I thought it was a thread from waaay back and I just missed it somehow.

Nevertheless... Solid knives. The only thing I cant grasp is the height on the paring blade and the size of the handle. Guess this is not the kind of kknife you peel pots or beets with? :tpk

5. Thanks guys!!

Bieniek...I've never had a problem peeling potatoes with my parers lol...but I've never peeled beets. The height at the heel on this parer is maybe 20-25mm tops, probably less. For comparison the gyuto is 48mm on the heel. I like a shorter handle on my parers personally, but this is a nice compromise as when I make shorter ones I get the 'the handle could be a little longer' thing. The other nice thing is that the dual taper handle gives it a lot of security...it almost acts like the handle is shorter I guess. Hard to explain.

20140920_213305.jpg
    This picture is from before a handle is installed, but the grip is the same. Plenty of room for product in your hand :).

6. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

7. Amazing work as always Cris. Still can't wait till mine gets into the line

8. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Cris, I talk about the size of the handle too. It looks like it is huge piece of wood :)
    Look at the world best parer at JCK. Its the misono dragon parer. Look at the size of the handle...

9. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

truly amazing set Cris.

10. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

WOW, Chris!!! Fantastic on accounts!

And great photos as well!
    Blessings
    Randy

11. Thank you everyone!

Bieniek, one thing to keep in mind is that my full size dual taper handles on my gyuto are only 110mm long at the longest. The flare at the butt is anywhere from 20mm to 35mm depending on the knife and the block of wood and a dozen other variables. Every customer so far (since I've started making the dual tapers), when they got the knives in hand...have commented on how the handle is much smaller visually than they expected, but when they pick up the knife they are very surprised at the fit. The last parer I made (the one with the orange eyes) is the exact same dimensions of this one, and is being used in a professional kitchen on a daily basis. The customer says it's the best he ever used...and I grilled him pretty hard on the ergonomics lol, as it was the first parer I sent out with that handle.

If I had my way, most of my knives (including the parers lol) wouldn't have handles at all. They all work wonderfully in a pinch grip with just a tang. Aesthetically that doesn't work though, and on the smaller knives (ko-gyuto, utility, parer...like this set), the dual taper has been the best compromise I've found yet.

ALSO!! I love the critique!! Thank you! First, it gives me ideas of what some people might be interested in that falls outside of what I'm currently doing, and second...it gives me an avenue to explain my design concepts...the what and why that normally get left out of these kinds of posts :).

12. Thanks Randy! That means a ton coming from you my friend!

13. Just curious, what are the lengths of the knives? Amazing work as always!

14. Thank you!

I can't believe I forgot that lol.

The gyuto is 210mm, the utility is 150mm, and the parer is 75mm.

:)

15. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I think I just swallowed my tongue!!! VERY nice! :like :) :cool1

16. :D