1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Iyoto stone

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by nianton, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Does anybody know anything about iyoto natural stones, specifically lotus iyoto???

2. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

Hi Nianton - I can't pretend to be an expert, but might be able to help: The Iyo mines in Shikoku are said to be the oldest for nat sharpening stones and are therefore historic. There seem to be different kinds of stones that where mined there, and I have the feeling that there was more than one mine. All are long since depleted or closed down from what I know.

Of the stone that was mined, there was a kind of white stone with grey/black/blueish spots which is a respected stone. I have one and it was basically one of my early stone references, a good medium/lower-med type of stone, which is on the hard side, but has nice feel and can give great results on many knives. I have the feeling that, if this kind of stone were more widely available, then you wouldn't always see the same sort of emphasis on finer awasedo-type stones. It should be a good type of stone for kitchen knives, and finer awasedo aren't always appropriate and that useful.

The white Iyo like this were the original 'binsui' used as the 2nd stone in the sword progression. Now other stones are called 'binsui' and will be a bit different. Iyo of this kind seem to get relatively high prices, if available.

I'm guessing you've come across one of the 'Iyo' stones from 330mate (or one of his other names) on eBay or elsewhere. I don't know his connection with Iyo and why he seems to carry so many, and I have no idea what all the 'lotus' (attention-catching term or 'renge' for coloured/spotty stones) are like, but without first-hand experience (because I've avoided this) I'll just relay that this seller seems to be avoided by most people, in fact anyone who knows better, and I worry gives Iyo stones a bad name because he claims to sell so many of them.

Just so you know, Iyo like the one I have can be sold for a few hundred $ if you find them in Japan. I bought mine for a similar price a few years ago, from JNS. I think it's the only one that was carried there. Also, I write this based on memory without new fact-checking and confirmations, which would take me a bit of time to do. As always would be happy for a discussion but my guess is I'll be the only one replying to your question and jnat knowledge isn't common enough.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016