1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this typical for a handmade knife ?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Mar 15, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

So I got a petty (more on that later),but has a few marks on it, along the spine you can see a few "notches" it is polished smooth so it was at factory in my opinion, but they are still noticeable gouges. And there is a tiny scratch in the kourishi its super shiny like the core steel but doesnt look that deep but not sure if its something I should just live with or deal with... it does kind of bug me for a high end knife, as I would equate that as poor F&F and it was a high end knife so I did send an email off to place I bought it, more curious if its normal stuff to see in a handmade knife and im making to much of it or if you would do the same 20140314_214532.jpg you can see spine gouges top left in about an inch, and the hairline scratch in underneith and just ahead of first makers mark

Not to mention this is hand hammered and there isnt much for hammer marks on this side of the blade which is part of the namesake for this knife... it may have been a long day on a long week while fighting a cold made knife for them lol at least to the pictures and videos of this line this knife isnt up to snuff but may because its a small petty over a larger surface of a gyuto

2. Chop

Chop Founding Member

So, this style of knife being hammered and kurouchi finished is meant to be rustic.

Often the grind can be a bit wavy, there can be imperfections hidden under the finish. Honestly, they aren't meant to be flawless.

That being said, if said flaws correlate to bad performance, than you have an issue. If hammer marks are too low, or the edge profile is wavy, etc...you should definitely be concerned.

Otherwise appreciate it for what it is. A cool knife, handmade by some third generation smith in Japan, in some dusty old shed with ancient tools.

3. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Not at all unusual on this type of knife. The issues you mention are part of the appeal. If cosmetically annoying, you can try to return it for another, but you may find less or more cosmetic issues on the replacement.

4. James

I didnt want to use it till I confirmed... but that little chunk is in an odd spot for knuckle Riding when chopping, but ill feel it out now that I know it isnt something all that unusual. Thanks guys

5. butch

butch Founding Member

round the spine more and it will be all good

6. PierreRodrigue

I agree with Butch. Take it on as a little project, add you touch to it, you may find you will appreciate it more.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

If you have a vise you can chuck it in there between some chunks of wood and do a shoe shine on it with some sandpaper to your liking. You can touch up the finish with some hot vinegar and salt to blend it back in. Or you could mirror polish the blade.. or just use it ... :k

8. James

I have two problems with that though, once I do that if I mess it up im really stuck with it, and for the what the blade is im more in the frame of mind that I shouldn't have to do anything to it lol, Although to be honest Im more disappointed there isn't hammer marks on the side with the maker mark like the pictures and videos all show, cause well, that's the part I really liked, I knew there would be variations from piece to piece, I think I just got that one box out of all of them that would have me think about it,... but then I know full well im being nit picky about it

9. PierreRodrigue

Send it back! Ask if they can hand select one that closer matches what the advertising portrayed.

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Your spending usually a good sum for these knives I think that allows a degree of nit picking

11. James

I sent a message about it, but I got home late and took a nap lol so I wont hear back until Monday now I think, I have it stashed in a safe place till then, I may be off on it, but I just keep saying to myself if I were at a store in person, I wouldn't take this one off the shelf for myself and probably grab another one, Id like to think I am going to live with this for my entire life, so there is a little voice in my head fighting between good enough don't be an idiot, and well its my money and Id like a different one. I think the second voice is winning

12. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

One of the reasons I like my Zakuri knives is that they perform awesomely once set up correctly, and another reason is that they're inexpensive enough that messing one up doesn't make you feel like a total chump. I would be reluctant to do much to a Masakage Koishi just out of fear of ruining its resale value. However, spine rounding is no big deal compared to edge work.

I agree however that having to do work to an expensive knife is frustrating, and I'm getting tired of buying nice expensive knives that still need work.

13. PierreRodrigue

If that is the same voice that says "never put your finger any place you wouldn't put your penis" you should listen to it! ;)

14. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

That Sir is an amazing quote to start my day and some very sound advice

15. James

one of those two fits in my nose though

16. PierreRodrigue

Ah, but the question remains, if you could, would you? The quote says "wouldn't" not shouldn't. :)D Sorry dude! I got nothing else! :k)

17. PierreRodrigue

If I made one person smile, it was worth getting up for! Have a great day, now, where the hell did I put my coffee!

18. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I think the notches are a bit much...at the end of the day that gnawing feeling will be in the back of your mind every tine you use the knife. Send it back and get something you will be 100% happy with.

19. James

I think ill do that, the picture doesn't show how deep they are, I could smooth them but not remove them without taking some serious metal off the blade, guess ill see what knifewear says when they get the email