1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a stolen knife thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by butch, Mar 29, 2015.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

a great guy and friend had one of his harners "walk away" withought him at a hammer in
    didnt know if there was an APB thread to post keeping an eye out for or not
    if not i guess i can post it in my harner knives forum since i made it for him
    it was a 240 xhp or cpm154 (cant rmember anymore) chef with maroon "burl" mycarta

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Keeping an eye out for it for sure.

3. butch

butch Founding Member

good news it showed up
    over all toj know thigns go missing so maybeb we neeed a thread of 2wahat walked off

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Yes please.

For 3 years ago or so, Gesshin Ittetsu 27cm octagon plain handle and boring plain saya.
    Stolen by the last man in a KKF passaround.

5. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I keep reading those missing knives in passarounds threads , still don't get how someone can just can go missing in action with a knife . Obviously you only know them through forums and they have nothing to loose than an online reputation or having to change their user name . I have given some knives to people to try , nothing more than 2 people at a time , don't know if I even class it as passaround . And they were people I met or at least I knew who they were . But still don't get how you take a passaround knife , keep it ( a.k.a steal and ) and hide as if Nothing happened

6. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

The theft of a pass around knife happens more than you think.
    I used to be a mod on another knife forum where not only did a guy take a knife, he did it twice.
    As people in the pass around got caught up in other things, forum communication broke down....and then no one could figure out who had it last.
    This particular guy was in 2 pass arounds that were running at the same time.
    With 20 people in it, and it also having some International participants they both lasted over a year....
    At that time admin decided to limit the amount of members that could be in a pass around to 5 or so.
    Seems much more fair to the maker that way

7. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Some people just disappear from the forums after they decide they want to keep the knife. There have been other fraudulent actions as well, like one guy a couple years ago who took $$ from a bunch of people for teas, and then he kept the money and did not deliver any product. Sometimes people are in a hole and need $, and think it's okay to get it by cheating/ stealing from others. I'm sure it is tough for makers to let a knife go out to a bunch of people they do not know. And it's best to think twice about going in on a group buy unless you know other forum members know that person personally and have occasional face-to-face contact.

8. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Im not sure the face to face contact could help if this kind of individual is set on doing harm by "borrowing" objects.
    The fellow from KKF I talk about, also got a razor from Pierre Rodrigue and something else but I cannot remember.
    And was a senior member with 1000 postings and apparently appeared at some get-together. And so what?

9. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

The 3rd thing was my Mario GyutoHiki. I even visited him in person at his resto while it was still uncertain as to whether he had stolen it or not.

All a part of the risk you take when participating in a passaround. It does damage the community though. (Luckily for me, other forum members were kind to me and helped me replace my loss...twice over, actually...I feel very blessed indeed.)

10. It kills me to see jerks take advantage of forum members' generosity. There's a special room in Hell reserved for these few guys.................................there's lots of knives involved and they ain't the ones holdin' em.

11. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Any one have experience with makers( not on this forum ) who took your deposit and never delivered?

12. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Indeed, thanks Mr for chiming in.
    I agree that this is damaging the community.
    I also have trouble to understand who is that dumb to steal plain 300 bucks knives?