1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my "new" stone used?

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by sharksfan7, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I just bought a Shapton Pro 5k stone. Everything about the packaging looks good & new. The stone surface is smooth, flat & consistent. The height appears to be what it's supposed to be. However the stone itself doesn't have any printing on it like the pictures I've seen. Even the instructions say to "put the printed side down". Also, the corner edges are already chamfered. I haven't bought many stones, and this is my first SP, but none came with chamfered edges. Is it common for new SPs to come like this? Or could this be a used stone being passed off as new?

2. Measure the height

3. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I only have one Pro, it had marking on bottom and side. I would doubt anyone would have removed the marking on the side. I dont recall if the edges were pre chamfered or not....I think they were.

I would put it to work and not think about it.

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

sharksfan7 posted the resolution to this in another forum:

"Well I decided to call the number for the distributor that was on the info strip that's wrapped around the box. Actually spoke with Harrelson Stanley, who I recognized from all the Shapton videos on YouTube. He confirmed that they stopped printing on the stones as of Jan or Feb of this year. He said they wanted a way to differentiate between the Shapton USA stones and the Kuromaku stones. So there ya go. Concerns allayed."

Sorry if I stepped on any toes by reposting his comment, but it could be a possible concern to a Shapton Pro buyer.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member