1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a dull knife more dangerous than a sharp knife?

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Toothpick, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I've heard this over the years as a words of wisdom saying.

"A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one". "Always keep your blade sharp"

Reason being is because a dull knife won't cut as easily as a sharp knife. So you would use more force to make the cut which would make the action more unstable and dangerous. If that makes sense. That's my reasoning anyway.

I've been using box cutters forever with my jobs. I change the blade at least once a week just to keep a sharp one in there.

Anyone have any input in this logic?

2. I feel both ways about it. The sharp blade is less likely to cut you...but man, once you're cut....it can get REALLY bad.

3. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

Form a healing standpoint, clean cuts tend to heal more quickly and cleanly. In my experience they also tend to hurt less and bleed less. Furthermore, if you happen to cut off a finger (rare but have seen it happen) it's easier to reattach a finger from a sharp knife because the cut is cleaner. A dull knife tends to tare at flesh rather than cutting...

This is just my nursing emerge experience talking.

-Steve

4. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

Honestly, a dull knife is more dangerous because of both of the facts that it takes more pressure and more effort to push through things so if you cut yourself it is going to be worse, AND if the cut is from a dull blade it will be jagged and wont heal as quickly.

Also, a person's work that uses dull knives reflects. Bruised vegetables and herbs go bad much quicker and spoil much easier.

If you work in the kitchen, a sharp knife is the only way to go. That is if you have pride in your work and your tools.

5. I don't think there could be simple answer for such question. From healing point sharp knives are better, but I don't think it's the right point of view, since the idea is to avoid cuts completely, not just minimize their impact.

For example, I'd never trust my sharp knives to my grandmother, since she would cut herself in seconds. For most of her life she used dull knives so she get used to them. If she tries to use a really sharp knives the same way she used to use knives — there will be blood.

While I'm doing some woodworking I've found that a very sharp knife give me more problems then just a "ok sharp" knife. While it clearly because of my poor cutting technique, I'm not sharpening my woodworking knife too much anymore. Yet I quickly got used to "razor sharp" kitchen knives that just falls through food.

6. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I have used dull knives many times and have only cut myself a couple of times. For the vast majority of applications where a dull knife will still get the job done, I'd say it's safer. There are certainly idiots who will wreck themselves with a dull knife, but most of the people I know use dull knives with no incident and tend to cut themselves the first time they use a sharp knife.

With sharp knives, even little slips, especially those damn heels, can mess you up. Sure they heal OK, but if I tap a dull knife against my finger, nothing, yet it still peels and cores apples fine. Do the same with one of my sharps, and I need to change bandages twice a day.

7. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Dull knives will slip.

8. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I tend to think, and maybe wrongly, that it all depends on what one is used to. If someone grew up not really caring about how sharp their blades are, and have always used a duller blade, they would probably hurt themselves with a screaming sharp blade. Likewise, the people who use a sharp blade only, would probably hurt themselves with a duller blade too. I think cutting is cutting, for the most part, unless the blade is really dull.

9. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Sharp edges give you a better respect for the cutting ability and the potential for danger. A dull blade is more likely to be handled willy nilly.

10. Have seen a dull knife slip on an onion. Quite messy.

11. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm inclined to agree. When one knows what an edge does, the technique follows. However, I also think that serious cuts from minor oversights are much easier with sharps.

12. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

At the end of the day accidents do seem happen whether we want them to or not. Personally I'd rather be cut by a sharp knife than a dull one, that's all. The question was why a dull knife was more dangerous than a sharp one, and my answer to that question reflected my experience in dealing with different cuts. Ideally, nobody would cut themselves though :D

-Steve

13. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

band aids are for ladies. and so are sharp santokus.

14. dmccurtis

dmccurtis Founding Member

If your technique is good, a dull knife is more dangerous. If your technique is bad, all knives are dangerous.

15. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I dont know... my dull plastic scissors they give me to use at work don't seem very dangerous... well, unless you run with them chewing gum marking a funny face

16. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I guess it was an old wives' tale after all.

Lots to account for. Very fascinating breaking it all down.

17. I find a sharp knife to be easier to control while cutting...and if you should cut yourself a clean cut does hurt less and seal up and heal faster. I don't know how you can respect yourself using a dull knife anyway.

18. roberto

roberto Founding Member

In 40 years I cut myself I think 2 times with a dull knife, The last 2years since I use sharp knifes maybe 20 times or more , not deep but it's blood anyway . Always with the tip or the heel point . But I prefer a sharp knife above a dull one for ease of cutting and fun.

19. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I personally don't care for this knife saying. I have probably gotten more incidental minor cuts from sharp knives, but I adjust my cutting style depending upon how dull or sharp a knife is. If someone with no technique comes in and uses my sharp knives a lot, I almost guarantee that sharp knife is more dangerous.

Also define dull. I had some 'dull knives' that guests were using and I apologized for them not being in top shape, but one thought they were some of the sharpest knives she had ever used. Dull is a very broad label and different depending upon user.

A smart user will be safe with dull or sharp knives, a dumb user will be unsafe with both dull and sharp knives.

k.

20. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I have a mate who explicitly explained many times how he never ever cut himself.
    After that I sharpened his dragon misonos...
    First use, almost chopped the fingernail on his thumg off. Couldnt help myself from laughing my buttocks off

Sharp knives are dangerous to people who dont understand what sharp is. Its not about technique, its about respect.
    If one cannot work quickly with a dull knife, the sharp one will not help to speed things up.
    And if one then decides to rush it... Bang emergency