1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

If you wanted to treat yourself with 'unreasonable' kitchen gear?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by apathetic, Oct 2, 2015.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I knew this thread would deliver :)

Why does she need such a big one? To do huge baches of stock and similar?

Oh, yeah, had been looking at those, that is definitely unreasonable and yet would be such a treat :)

Didn't know about this, looks very nice :)

I have also looked at the robo-coupe, so many applications for this!

Wood oven, definitely!! And more space, always more space :D

@bieniek: what would be the gear you would most want?

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

What kind of grinder do you have, Butch? I've been wanting one for a while.

3. butch

butch Founding Member

cheapo inport hand crank one (my mom does antiques and i have her keeping an eye out for a vintage haand crank one) they have a large table top grinder but to be worth it i woudl have to grind 1 lb at a time

4. Full commercial dishwasher setup wins hands down for me. Complete with two huge sinks , spray gun & slide in one side slide out the other racks. My dishwasher at home takes over an hour. At work? A little over a minute. It's a no brainer.

5. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

Yes I'm with you. I hate home washers that take an hour when commercial takes a minute. Something has to be off. I'm eyeing a dynamic immersion blender for no reason at all. :)

6. apathetic

With such a difference in efficiency, it doesn't even seem such an unreasonable thing to get at home :eek:

@Stumblinman: one of the huge ones?

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Hard to tell if I could just pick one thing it would be more space or space differently put together. One of my walls is almost totally opened so I lack a lot of bench/cupboard space.
    Then I would have a flour space for the bread werks. With flour all over it all of the time.
    Purely equipment wise id have one floor-model ventilated fridges with transparent door, so I could look at my mise en place without opening it. And a second one would be similar style freezer.

8. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

Ha no not one of those trolling motors :) just small one. But I've never really needed one. So pretty much there is no reason for it... I did recently purchase some tweezers because they were there. And now a special edition gray kunz... what to do. I have no reason for any of them because I have a wisk, spoons in the drawer and fingers....

9. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Does a larger 2-zone wine fridge count? Other than that, I still have a Vitamix and a vacuum sealer on my list. But we are all amateurs. I just talked to a friend in Germany who is extending his seasonal-local-organic catering business and he just invested 250,000 Euros in kitchen gear.

Stefan

10. Love this.

Though I am just waiting until i move house and will build myself a purpose built cellar for my collection

11. apathetic

Wow, you could do a lot with €250,000... :eek:

12. I sold my centrifuge and PacoJet this year, and I miss my PacoJet. So, that. And a combi-oven and a walk-in and a house to put them in. That counts, right?

Stefan, 250k in kitchen gear? Unless that's a large commercial kitchen, I'd love to see what's happening in there.

13. butch

butch Founding Member

you can make smaller things in a big pot but never can you make larger stock in a small pot. last time we made soup to can/freeze it ended up being 38Qt. makes meal plannign a snap and the garden gets a proper save in jars

14. apathetic

Definitely counts :D
    Were you using your pacojet regularly?

15. Periodically, yes. I certainly used it more regularly when I was doing dinners or had it in my restaurant, but I definitely used it at home. I would've used to more frequently if I had the patience for my home fridge to fully freeze the canisters. That said, I don't think my home use could've easily justified buying it at retail price.

16. apathetic

That's the unreasonable part :)
    And that what makes you consider the even more unreasonable blast chiller :D

17. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I may not have been clear enough: Yes, this is a commercial kitchen. My friend started catering organic meals on the side about 15-20 years ago, and now he delivers over 1500 lunches to kindergardens every day, sells meals to stores/bistros, and does event catering on a larger scale - still all organically grown and local products. Business is going well enough that he is expanding and updating his equipment.

Stefan