1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to Spatchcock a chicken and roast on my Weber

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Aug 20, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Planning on brining it for a couple hours, then a sweet spicey rub both sides and putting in the weber over indirect heat at around 300 for a couple hours.

Thoughts, recommendations and potential pitfalls are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I haven't ever done this before...but 300F for 2 hours sounds like too much heat to me. I'd guess closer to 225 for 2 hours...? Def recommend a thermometer with a remote screen so you can continuously monitor temp.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

300 indirect may be fine. Of course this depends on if it is a 8 pounds bird or 4 pound bird...

Check it after an hour. :)

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Excellent!
    It's a 4 pounder. I will throttle it back a bit. Can I brine it over night?

6. daveb

daveb Founding Member

"Can I brine it over night?"

I do. Suggest you build into your timetable some time to let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge to thoroughly dry the skin. I brine overnight, let dry the next day until time to fire up the grill, let the bird come to ambient temp, then off to the races.

7. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I seem to recall there is a technique in Modernist Cuisine for this...I think they blanch/shock the whole bird three times to render the fat and pull the skin taut...maybe then drying in the fridge?

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys. I hope you know what an asset you are to us who just know enough to be dangerous.

9. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

No doubt your plan will work. I approach slightly differently . I like crisp skin, so for this chicken, I wouldn't brine. I'd do a dry rub, overnight if I planned ahead. On a 2 level fire in your weber, start it skin side up indirect. When it's 80% done, flip it and finish over direct heat for crisp skin.