1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to buy a gyuto...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Victor, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Hello guys and gals, I've been browsing around the site and checking out the vendors. I see so many wonderful knives I'd love to have! I think after much reading I want to try and hunt down a Shigefusa 240mm gyuto. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys on what you think a fair price is and if there is any specifics I should look for. Keep in mind I'm new here so have mercy on my ignorance.. I'm learning. With that said I'd love to dive right in with a Shig. :)

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Wow, no harm in trying to hit the ground running. Shigefusa is a stopping point for many. They are great knives...because they are so great-they are hard to come by. Getting a new one is almost impossible. Second hand might happen if the price is right. There are a few different types, western V. wa and kasumi v kitaeji.

A western 210 kitaeji recently went for 1850.00, you can expect the 240 version to be around that ball park.

I recently sold my 210 kasumi for 450, it is probably worth 550.00 or 600.00. A 240 can go for 650+

I noticed all the knives on your block are stainless. Shigefusa is all carbon...the cladding on Shigs is probably one of the most reactive I have used. May I inquire as to why you jumped straight for the shig?

3. Hey, thanks for the informative reply Matt.. I was looking around and really into the 240mm kitaeji. The handle I would be fine with whatever I find. Ultimately I'd like to get a custom handle. (Beveled Western style for a wa like feel.)
    You have a good eye and yes they are all easy care stainless for all to use. I understand that there is much more work and care involved in the high carbon steels which I am kind of looking forward to. I want it to be an intimate experience including sharpening and maintenance.
    I have decided to build a personal collection for only my use and enjoyment. As with some of my other hobbies, I would rather a small top notch collection. Two have really stood out to me that I'd love to have to start my collection first being a Shig and second a Kato. I was going to try out a Tanaka blue 2 from some of the recommendations I've seen as a good quality and value. I still actually might get one anyway but I've decided that if I'm going to try to put together a pretty serious collection a Shig and a Kato would be two I need to have.
    I hope this doesn't come off as pretentious. I don't claim to be a great chef who needs this caliber of blade. I just know what I like when I become passionate about something. I am not in a rush and I would rather save up and buy one incredible piece at a time to add to a small collection.

4. A Shigi is an Excellent choice...Great cutters and the Fit and finish is outstanding....And definitely Not pretentious, I had 5 at one time and I'm not a chef.

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Hey Victor, if you want to try one of the best custom makers, period........... Give an Ingoglia a test run, one of the absolute BEST cutters I have ever used, period!!! Oh and I am a professional chef. :)

6. I second this, Ingoglia is awesome!

7. Hey guys thanks for the messages.. Mario I think I sent you an email about getting one of your customs. I hear lots of great stuff about your work!