1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want a fixed blade EDC knife - Need help.

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by Toothpick, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

For the longest time I've been wanting a fixed blade knife - to carry on my hip in a leather sheath.

I don't want a hunting knife, I don't want a survival knife, I don't want a flashy "look at my knife" type of knife. I also don't want a crocodile dundee knife.

I simply want a basic, single edge (no saw blade, or serrated) knife. It will open boxes, cut apples, cut string, etc etc.

I'm not entirely sure what a good length would be or even what a good steel would be.
    I'm thinking 4 inch length would be be fine. Maybe smaller.

Basically I have no idea what to tell the knife maker I want or even know of a good place to buy from.

I really would like to have a custom one made. A knife that you can't walk in to a store and buy. One of a kind. Who would you commission?

Thanks for your help!

2. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I held a pretty sweet knife that Jwhite made for another member, on that other site. Made the leather sheath and all, it was really nice. I have a feeling there are some great options from members here too :)

If you're looking at a production piece as well, Bark river makes some great looking knives.

3. daveb

daveb Founding Member

4. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Randy (HHH) has made batches of no-frills neck knives before. They are nice.

5. Toothpick

6. A neck knife from most makers is a basic knife that hangs from a sheath that is attached to a loop/thong around your neck. They're by necessity usually smallish (2-3" blade), and have just enough handle to grip properly.

7. Toothpick

Thanks. Don't want anything hanging around my neck that's for sure

8. Especially a knife. I would end stabbing myself.

9. Lol! It's in a sheath. I actually make open bladed knives to wear as jewelry around your neck =p.

10. I would still end up stabbing myself :p

11. Btw you have photos of that? And are they functional???

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I think 4" may be a little long for an EDC. Neck knives from most makers are a nice size and not necessarily worn around the neck.... makes me nervous as well.... worth looking at for sure

13. Toothpick

I don't wear a belt. So the sheath would have to have a clip.

2-3" wouldn't be bad I guess. With handle what's that make it? 6"?

14. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I think with an EDC overall length might trump blade length. You want functional but it also needs to be reasonable. I keep a fixed in my pack 100% of the time its 20 cm overall with an 8.5 cm blade prob small enough for the waist but still a bit much for my liking hence the folder in my pocket. As we always say personal preference is what it comes down to, any one of our member craftsmen would I'm sure make you something to be more than happy with on very little direction.

15. Of my version of a neck knife? Sure do...I don't want to derail the thread though so I'll PM them to you.

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I want to see pics. lots of pics:pop

17. Toothpick

post them here if you would. It might give me more of an idea of what I want.

18. This might be a bit big as the blade is around 105mm, it's O1 tool steel and I bought the blade and shaped the burl elm scales and made the pins myself, it's a bit rough and the handle is a little chunky. It's sitting here doing nothing as I can't really carry it here in the UK, was going to PIF it or something, would it interest you?
    [​IMG]

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Hey Warren, Does Ray Mears know about this?;)

20. His shows were the reason I decided up put it together:) Although it has never been out in the wild since:confused: It deserves a better home but as it was my first ever attempt at a handle I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for any money for it:D