1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want a Deba...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by John Fout, Aug 23, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

(Don't tell the lady of the house...) Anyways, roles at work are changing and I'll be breaking down lots of 18-20# salmon. I was using my suji but cringe when I'm going through the rib bones.

I'm right handed, I know how to sharpen single-bevels and I'm wanting to spend around $150. Maxim has one close but shipping jacks it. I will go to $200 but not above.

Also, feel free to talk me out of said deba ;)

2. Put a single-sided minibevel of some 35 degree on the first two or three inches of your suji with a medium stone for the rough tasks, and you will be fine.

3. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I use my debas a lot for 20-120# fish, you should get one if it will be a daily task.
    Try using a smaller gyuto to filet a couple of the fish using a deba technique and see how it feels to you. There are a ton of videos on this and if you have any questions ask, I've figured out the whys of a bunch of the technique and can maybe help it make sense.
    I know it is upwards from your target, but the Gesshin Urakus are a great intro to deba. I would hesitate to get the Itinomonn for two reasons, both having to do with the KU line knife I have. The first is that because of how fish flesh and scales adhere you will end up scrubbing the crap out of the blade, and the finish goes byebye, which isn't a problem for me, I have casually scrubbed most of the finish off of my line knife and it's not a big deal to me. The other is that that same line knife has a series of weird overgrinds that do not affect the performance in any way. Neither of the kasumi Itinomonn knives I have owned have had this, and the line knife cuts like a dream with no lack of board contact. I've sharpened through a couple of them so I'm not worried about the longevity of the knife, but someone who is more anal or is looking for a show piece might be disappointed. If neither of these things bother you, then go for it, and let me know how it goes, I've been debating on the mioroshi for months.

4. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I wanted to price check before I posted this, the Uraku 180 is $215 and I have the 195 and it is a hell of a knife for the cost. Actually so is the Itinomonn line knife, it's just a little more rustico.

5. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

If you're primarely breaking down salmon you should check out one of Jon's (Broida) newest videos. I think maybe the newest 'live broadcast' he did. Its on youtube. Or write him a mail. I'm almost sure he advices against using a deba for salmon. I'm not sure of his recommendation. Can't remember :(
    Just saying :)
    -Kim

6. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Jon showed some illustrations of a Yanagiba being traditionally used on salmon. I don't recall that he advocated the technique.

John - I just did a passaround with a 165 Deba and it's back from it's round the world tour. Drop me a pm with a shipping addy if you would like to try it. (165 may be a little short for your requirements - Andre? )

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

What a GREAT thread!!! :)

8. Andre

Andre Founding Member

That salmon technique would be very quick, but it would also leave a larger amount of meat behind. 165mm would let you get the feel for the thing but would be a tiny bit small. My 195 Uraku is in used hard for a year rehab, working out some chips and fixing u

9. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Up the ura. If I ever get a day off to finish it, I would also be glad to let you take it for a spin.

10. John Fout

Most generous!

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Im also cool to send you my custom polished and shape changed 210 Yoshitoshi

You can very very very well break down salmon with a deba. It will require you to know the anatomy of the fish very well, maybe scrape the scale or cut it out first, especially in the areas youre about to make to cuts.
    Then you won't have any bone to guide the blade with, but you are able to cut perfect filets out of it no problemo.

Best qould be a mioroshi of about 220 to 240 ask echerub about the Masamoto he bought of me, its nimble yet solid blade.

Would never do that with my no-microbevel-nonsense yanagis, but hey! Im just a rock in the sea of chaos!!!!
    :jump

12. John Fout

Is the mioroshi profile to accommodate those more used to a gyuto or French blade?

13. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Below is a straight lift from Gator's "ZKnives" website and is my understanding of difference. The Deba is primarily a butchering knife that can be used to filet, the Mioroshi Deba has a little Yanagiba in it and can butcher and filet.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/usetype/all/index.shtml

Deba ( 出刃[​IMG])

- Heavy, thick knife designed for cutting and filleting the fish. Can be used for butchering poultry, however cutting bones with it isn't recommended. As usual 165mm-200mm long blade. Traditionally single grind - see Kobayashi Deba review, although double grind versions, called Ryodeba are quite popular as well, see Takeda Deba review. Mainly Japanese style handles are used. Although, a few makers do offer various Debas with western type handles as well, those would be Yo-Debas.

Miroshi Deba ( 身卸出刃[​IMG])

- In Japanese the word Miroshi means filleting. Miroshi deba as the name suggests is optimized for that particular task. It is more slender and longer than typical Deba knife. See Shigefusa Kitaeji Miroshi Deba Kitchen Knife review. *Provided Kanji translates as Mioroshi Deba which is the correct spelling, however, incorrect Miroshi is pretty much de-facto translation in western world.

The knife in my avatar is a Suisin Mioroshi Deba. Me and the Redfish are about to get it on.

14. John Fout

So I buy one of each right?

15. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

What about a Watanabe Sakekiri?

16. daveb

daveb Founding Member

And a spare:cool::cool:

I've little concept of prepping fish professionally so can't offer anything on which would better serve your needs.

17. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Title says you want a deba, you say for the salmon.

Then you need one knife.
    A good knife.
    There is some cheap mioroshis on ebay if you are willing to just have a try.

18. John Fout

Was thinking about the Tojiro... I'll check ebay again. Such a large range in quality and price and not knowing anything about the makers,

19. Wagner the Wehrwolf

20. Wagner the Wehrwolf